The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driving across country

transparentdsm

so the big drive/move is starting on Monday morning and we hope to be in the Lake Tahoe area by Thursday or Friday. we are planing on making a few stops along the way. 138 and 1078 are coming to California with us.

We will be in Chicago on monday night, we're staying with a friend.

On Tuesday morning we'll be making a 10 or so hour drive into Nebraska and have no real plans on where to stay, so if anyone has any place interesting that is close to route 80 let me know and we will probably make that our stop.

Wednesday we head out to Boulder, Co and hope to be there by noon-ish and will be there all day long.

Thursday we start our trip to Tahoe, we might be stopping in Utah or like right when you get into Nevada.

So if anyone will be in those areas and wants to hang out, have a beer, maybe some car talk and pictures let me know and well meet up.

GSX_TC

Goodluck man, stupid question but are you driving both Galants or transporting them with something?

transparentdsm

Steve - i lived in Tahoe for about a decade while i was an AM/PRO snowboarder, after i was done doing that I decided to move home to help my father and his business, with the way the economy is he wasn't making enough money to keep paying me so i told him i would leave for a few months and get a different job for a while or till things picked back up. about 7 months went by with no change in his shop, then Cait's boss puled some stuff with her pay and paying someone who is less qualified more then her. then the lady and i had a nice conversation on what we wanted to do and both realized if were going to be working like dogs at jobs we don't love why not go back to the place that we love. we don't have any kids or any real responsibilities other then the dogs and ourselves. its a beautiful place, always nice and its like living in a constant vacation. we also have some friends out there that have jobs for us once we get out there.

Mike - we are going to be driving both of these cars, i haven't spent all this time and money on these two cars to not drive them. i actually had them down at my dads shop yesterday and did a good look over on both vehicles, changed some fluids, cleaned some things up and we are ready to go. we also have a 3rd friend driving out that is taking my durango and trailer with all of our stuff.

GSX_TC

That is awesome, well goodluck to you I hope you make it there with no problems, be sure to take pics.

transparentdsm

anyone in the Newton/Des Moines area? trailer tire is balding out real bad, needs to be replaced and might be stuck here all day tomorrow... so what's there to do in these parts?

transparentdsm

met a great guy that was a mobile mechanic that was able to help with trailer tires on the 4th of july. it was a life saver. only cost 300$ and he gave me a spare rim and tire just in case. it was a great way to start the day. we only made it to kearney, ne and are staying here tonight then getting an early start on getting to boulder tomorrow. its a 6 hour drive with a 1 hour time zone change, so not to bad. we will be in Boulder for the afternoon and night tomorrow. if anyone wants to meet up let me know.

here are some pictures so far.

the inside of my car... what a mess.

at least it is clean underneath

still as clean as the day i left

driving down the road at 75

hope you all enjoy or whatever..

GSX_TC

1078 is Lookin good!

transparentdsm

mike - thanks man. i have put a lot of time and money in the old girl to make her run well enough for this trip

steve - haha, im a man on a mission.

both cars have been running great and my durango is like an unstoppable wrecking force. yesterday was the first day of driving through a nice day.

LIV4PSI

Good luck on the move Shane. Props for not being scared to just take off like that. Sometimes I wish I could do the same thing

transparentdsm

^ thanks man, im never scared. im lucky enough to not have kids and never planing on having any, just an awesome fiancee and two amazing dogs that are ok with doing whatever. there is no reason for me to be scared, i have been a mechanic for over 10 years and i never would have left PA with a vehicle i didn't think would make the drive all the way there. i am confident and proud of my work.

both of the cars have more work into both of the cars then i have posted on the forum, i constantly am doing maintenance and work on these cars, almost everything has been replaced on 138. i just really need to finish up replacing all of my bushings with polys and during this drive the rotors, as i never replaced them myself, started to warp and i want to replace the hard 4ws lines with new stuff, as it is starting to show surface rust and the paint is starting to peal off the lines. 1078 needs the driveshaft rebuilt and a new suspension on it and of course all the bushings. almost everything else has been replaced. i have a lot of money into these two.

made it to boulder at around 2:30 today, had an amazing drive last night and today. we got to see 4th of july fireworks for like 2 hours while driving on route 80. it was so freaking cool. i got to see about 30 1955 chevy belairs coupes, wagons and convertibles, like 10 1938-1942 ford deluxes, handful or two of 60's novas, 50's - 80's Lincoln's, a SKYHAWK!! and all kinds of awesome other things. it was a really awesome last two days of driving. i wish i could have taken pictures, but they were all on the other side of the highway.

i did however get off highway 76 right when we got into colorado to get some gas and i saw a sign for highway 138... so we took the dirt road down to 138 and i took a bunch of pictures with my car in front of the sign. im kinda pumped on this. i think its really neat.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

we are staying one more day in Boulder. I had thrown my back out about a week before we moved putting the transmission in and while driving across i pulled it or something and now it's really bad. i went to get in the car this morning and kinda just collapsed to my knees and Cait said we aren't driving anywhere. hopefully tomorrow morning ill be all better and we can get rolling again. im starting to feel a bit better, but im still in pain. this is one of the worst times it has happened in a while.

GSX_TC

man i cant wait till my big road trip! so much motivation going on here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

transparentdsm

mike im glad i could help motivate. i think my favorite part of the trip so far is finding route 138 in CO while driving 138 and getting to take pictures. so excited and i think they came out pretty good and i think they'll look even better once i have Cait finish them up in photoshop to sharpen and clean the image up.

Steve885

Get some ibuprofen 200 mg liquid gels take 4 every 4 hours....you should have little to no pain...I have arthritis I live off them..

transparentdsm

thanks ill go to the store tomorrow and buy some. i really hope it works. one of our friends here had just recently hurt his back and he gave me a pain killer. it totally worked, but i wouldn't dare drive a car on one of those things.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts