The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivetrain whining/ grinding

Hello All!
recently bought a 91 galant vr4 that had a new clutch installed. All i had to do was put the gearbox in, simple.
Gearbox in everything is fine, except there is a whining/ grinding sound coming from the front of the car.
the centre support bearing on the driveshaft needs replacing but it sounds like its come from the front of car.

the sound;
- increases with road speed
- coming from front
- can get rid of it by driving and slightly backing off.
- occurs in all gears even with clutch engaged

i reckon its the input shaft bearing (or a main bearing in the gearbox)
or possibly bearings the transfer case. could also be the center support bearing for the driveshaft but it doesnt sound like its coming from there (maybe sound echoing??).

going to drain the gearbox oil tomorrow to see if there are any shavings.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated. Still new to vr4s. thanks for the help!

thomcasey

You can also check the bearing for the "jack" shaft (Front drivers half-shaft).

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting TheBen12345:
Hello All!
recently bought a 91 galant vr4 that had a new clutch installed. All i had to do was put the gearbox in, simple.
Gearbox in everything is fine, except there is a whining/ grinding sound coming from the front of the car.
the centre support bearing on the driveshaft needs replacing but it sounds like its come from the front of car.

the sound;
- increases with road speed
- coming from front
- can get rid of it by driving and slightly backing off.
- occurs in all gears even with clutch engaged

i reckon its the input shaft bearing (or a main bearing in the gearbox)
or possibly bearings the transfer case. could also be the center support bearing for the driveshaft but it doesnt sound like its coming from there (maybe sound echoing??).

going to drain the gearbox oil tomorrow to see if there are any shavings.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated. Still new to vr4s. thanks for the help!

Was the rear diff, or transfer case ever changed and or the transmission for another ?

If it isn't bearings, we are hoping you aren't looking at mismatched gearing.

When you bought the car was the transmission already out?

Back after a while away. When i bought the car the transmission was out as a new clutch was being installed. My mistake for buying a car that isnt running....
Anyway ended up replacing the carrier bearings with no luck, drove the car with not drive shaft (yoke and tcase still installed) and the sound went away. With no load on the tcase, the noise disappears. Ended up rebuilding the tcase with new bearings and seals with a kit from meek as dropping the tcase oil found it burnt and filled with metal shavings.
The noise is now GONE and wasnt too hard to rebuild either. I now have the issue of tcase is still leaking oil from the rear of tcase .
Doubt it is the rear seal as i just replaced it and apparently previous owner did aswell(assume this leak has been happening for a while and destroyed the bearings last time, as a result of no oil). I believe that the oil is leaking out the back of the yoke, unsure yet. will let it sit for a couple days as maybe i over filled it??
Cheers for the help.

thomcasey

You can order a new yoke/universal joint replacement kit from JNZ Tuning. It has the updated Yoke without the drain hole.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts