The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivetrain upgrade - advice (I just broke more parts)

bazeng

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what you guys advise for consistent 10 sec passes without any concerns of breaking parts.

I'm thinking

xfercase output shaft upgrade
driveshaft and yoke to suit
billet axles from DSS front and rear (4bolt)

What are your opinions?
I just want 1.6 60's and 10 seconds all day.

Advice?

Brianawd

With a welded center you will brake you tcase more often. With a 4spider your going to brake more axles.

Welded center, tcase upgrade and some DSS front and rear axles. Oh and a DSS drive shaft.

bazeng

I fixed the weak gearbox by upgrading to a PAR DOGBOX (same as MAGNUS).
I haven't done anything to the xfercase and beyond apart from a 4bolt with mech evo3 lsd.

So DSS are the only guys?
Axles and Driveshaft (alloy). What about the yoke? Should that be upgraded also? If so, what type?
Who does xfer case upgrades in the USA?

Brianawd

Dog box racing has a tcase upgread.

bazeng

Thanks for that!

Cheaper than Shep but I think Shep does both gears in the xfer case.
The thing is that I can't provide a core so maybe I need to get prices for parts only which should save shipping costs.

curtis

Barry PM toybreaker he did a extensive take sh*t apart party on a floor full of t-cases looking at wear patterns, problem points, oiling problems etc back about a year ago and probably knows way way more than most about these things inside.

But these are no different than anything else. You could deburr the gear edges, magnaflux, have them cryo treated etc just like any other gear.

curtis

Quoting bazeng:
I do have a spare front and rear bumper though!

If you are serious on the trade, I'd consider it! lol

You mean for a transmission you'll rob your brothers car after 1am anyday of the year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

bazeng

Lol Curtis,

I should show you guys the new dyno printout of the AMG. We had it retuned and it now makes 280kws (370hp) at the front wheels. It spins 1st/2nd/3rd gear.

Back on topic, has anybody got feedback on the DSS alloy driveshaft?
Does anybody have any feedback on the axles?

3rdstrikedsm

Automatic and all problems will be gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4thStroke

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Automatic and all problems will be gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I cannot begin to explain how fed up I am with these claims.

If you check out ECMLink, the drive train section is full of cars stuck in limp mode for undefined reasons.

I don't have much against the autos, I'm just sick of people claiming they are a drop in solution when that is far from the truth. They aren't completely figured out yet and never will be. There is no converter that will work for every turbo. You can't even say that a certain converter works for a specific range of turbos. So far, it's mostly been trial and error and resorting to spray to get the car to stall.

But, when they do work correctly, they work very well.

bazeng

I spoke to Shep. He doesn't make those transfercases anymore so I'm looking at the PAR upgrade where they upgrade the output shaft by machining the stock gear and splining / treating / pressing the new output shaft into the gear etc etc.

They then use a Chev powerglide yoke to suit.

DSS recommend a rear bar upgrade and stage 2 fronts on both cars.

Shep reckons the stock front shafts are good for 8's.

So all in all, I think I know what to purchase especially with the good exchange rate at the moment! $1.08 US for $1.00 AUD.

The launching pics also updated above!

curtis

Well crap son I see what happened, it isn't the weak parts its the green car in the other lane.

Your car knew from the start that Green cars are faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned