The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driverside Axle/bracket bearing question...

SleepinGVR4

Has anyone replace their axle bracket bearing before?

Is it possible to get the bearing backwards in the bracket?

Is the inside of the bearing tapered?

The reason I ask is because I just replaced mine. And the outer axle(from wheel hub to bracket) does not seem to want to go all the way in to the bracket. Its actually got pretty seriously play, up and down and in and out. But I can't pull it all the way out.

I thought maybe I got the bearing in there backwards. I have a spare intermediate shaft and axle bracket. With the spare I can pull the intermediate shaft out of the bracket and if I try to put it in the other side it doesn't want to go in at all. But yet if I turn it around and put it back in the other side it goes right in.

I'm guessing the bearing is backwards and the intermediate shaft isn't able to go all the way through the bearing in the bracket, thus not giving the outer axle enough to grab on to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Someone enlighten me.

pauleyman

If I recall the bearing is symmetrical. Measure it. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the intermediate shaft is free of any light surface corrosion. It's been a long time since I've done one but isn't the shaft pressed into the bearing and the axle fits onto the shaft inside the housing? It's a pretty straightforward install.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned