The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drive train noise

tektic

I have a deceleration noise I don't like. There is fluid in the trans and transfer case. Now what? transfer-case leaks a bit but Ive been keeping it full. It emanates from the front of the car on decell and its a winding noise. Should I be disassembling the transfer case?

ktmrider

^^ No read the 11 billion existing threads on it....

LIV4PSI

My money is on the drivehaft

coyotes

mine makes noise also on decel when you are in gear. The driveshaft is a likely culprit in this situation.

tektic

drive shaft is pretty solid. The winding noise from in front of me. Had a mechanic in the car today, he said it was to be expected with solid mounts. And shouldn't worry... for now.

tektic

Good read. Thanks. Makes a lot of sense.

I actually had Ray P. in my car the other day and he told me with solid mounts it was kind of normal. So along the same line of thinking I guess.

Last edited:

Tommyd

Once I changed mounts, deleted balance shaft, did a lightened flywheel, unsprung disc, and everything else I a weird decel noise too. It was kind of like a drone coming from underneath me but give it gas and it went away. Checked everything out and it appeared fine and then I read that and it all made sense then.

tektic

Yeah, It does. mine sound like its more in front of me, but the rest is true. Sprung clutch thought in my case.

jcrimboli

Yeah that article is a great read, definitely making me reconsider removing the balance shafts on my upcoming T-belt service.

tektic

Ok, So this is just too loud to be normal. How do I determine if its the trans or the transfer case?

Tommyd

I would start by draining the fluids and looking for metal shavings.

tektic

That's 90 worth of brand new fluid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
I guess if I have to...

Edit: I read every post I could today. Some common themes were loose intermediary axle shaft, Improper engine mounts, loose transfer case.

I'll check on this stuff Sunday. Still having intermittent clutch issues. Ordered new master and slave.

Last edited:

SSGdave

Everytime ive had to deal with this at work, re: DSMs GVR4s, if its not a driveshaft, its from the trans. 9 times out of 10, these 5sp transmissions are beat to hell, a rebuild or replacement is the outcome. Even on 1855, I had to rebuild a spair trans for it at work. on the one that was removed from the car... Multiple bad bearings and worn races, failing 1-2 and 3-4 forks and things of that nature.

belize1334

I've been chasing this problem for years. If you have any kind of success I'd love to know about it. I've replaced my transmission with 2 used units and finally a rebuild from Jack's. I've swapped t-cases twice and rear diffs twice. And I've rebuilt my entire drive-shaft w/ the exception of the lobro joint, which I inspected and found to be in good condition. I still have a horrific decel grumble from the rear and loud gear buzz-rattle from the front. For reference I have an ACT flywheel and OEM long-block with bshafts still installed. Gremlins.

Last edited:

ade

any luck yet john?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts