The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dragstrip results: #139 ran good then broke

atc250r

Staff member
The more things change, the more they stay the same. It sounds like you're having the same problems as you would with a VPC back in the day.

John

NateCrisman

yeah, same issue you would have with a vpc when you run more boost than the map sensor can read. (although in my experience the vpc sensor maxed out at 25psi, where the GM reads to 30). But, I do have full tuneability of fuel and timing that the VPC doesn't. I can run the AEM 3.5bar sensor an eliminate my problems, but being the cheapskate DSMer, Ill just make due with the gm3.0 for now.

only thing Im not sure of now is what happens with that aem boost controller when I set it to more than 30psi. Does the alarm go off and shut down the controller? I'm not sure if the alarm can be set higher than the controller's internal map sensor can read until you wire in the external 5bar sensor and set the controller to use it.

atc250r

Staff member
I'd try over on the forums on AEM's site or call them. I never thought about it before, I wonder what my Greddy tops out at? Worst case you can always just put lets say a set of springs in the gate to make 27'ish psi with no BC, and then put a MBC in the signal line to the gate when you go to the track. That's probably a relatively easy way to get what you want on the cheap if the EBC becomes a hassle. I don't know what gate you've got but I might have an inner spring for a Tial 44 in the tool box.

John

Last edited:

NateCrisman

I have that new really small MVS tial gate. it's 38mm but has a really small canister on top that uses smaller springs. I know I have either 1.0 or 1.1 bar springs in there. Got the chart off tial's site. Seems kinda crazy with anything over 1.3bar using 3 springs ahahaha. Ill figure out what I need and see about ordering a spring to stick in there to put my base pressure around 20-22psi range.

Im going to post on the AEM board and see what I can find out, I wasn't able to find anything via searching the aem forum about the alarm setting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Edit:
Extremepsi has the MVS springs for only $12. Ill just order them tomorrrow for a 22 target which should help the dropoff. Im also going to try running the pressure source from the intake manifold instead of off the compressor housing which may help compensate for the fmic pressure drop.

If I can get the boost to hold steady, then I don't have to even worry about dealing with What IF's with the aem controller alarm and the DS-map software & 3bar map sensor limitations.

A solid 29psi at all rpm with racegas and 20* of timing should be a major gain compared to 28psi falling to 24psi with 13to15* of timing on pumpgas (with a little knock pulling out timing).

Would't it be funny if a $12 spring is the solution to all the worlds problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts