The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dragstrip results: #139 ran good then broke

NateCrisman

Went over to Island today for sunday T&T. Got there at about 12:30, sat in tech line till 1:15, then in line till after 2:20 for my first run. The place was PACKED with cars.

Run 1:
1.640 60'
4.939 330'
7.609 @ 93.97 1/8
9.870 1000'
11.800 @ 117.14 1/4

~23psi steady boost, no knock, mid 11's a/f, 13 to 15* timing.
Launch rpm was 6200, but I didn't get on the 2step until the last light so I left with pretty much no boost/free rev. it still came out smooth and fairly quick. I lifted the 1-2 shift and made it way early at 6800rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Youtube video of first run

My wife & kids left after the first run, my boys are only 4 and 2 years old, the big loud racecars & smoke were a little too much for them. Island also seems to have a nasty yellow jacket bee problem in the stands. So I only have video of my first run. They waited over 2 hours to see me make one pass, which musta sucked.

Second run:
1.656 60'
4.837 330'
7.418 @ 96.82 1/8
9.626 1000'
11.509 @ 120.21

Boost hit 28psi and start a steady decline to 24psi by 7500rpm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
raised timing 1*, but saw some knock (less than 8counts) in 3rd and 4th.
NLTS all gear shifts, but I let out in first gear right after the launch. I let the clutch slip just a bit too much and it kept slipping after the pedal came up, so I blipped the throttle in first to let it grab.

Third run:
1.621 60'
4.776 330'
7.344 @ 97.40
9.541 1000'
11.410 @ 120.96

same tune/boost setting, still dropping from 28 to 24psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
I did the same damn thing in first gear again...letting clutch out too slow, it doesn't feel like it grabs 100% and I lift throttle out of instinct for just a bit. Either way, a decent pass I think, but the 60' could be better when I stop being a pansy and just drop the clutch faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Saw knock counts of 13-14 in 4th gear, which pulled the timing down to 9*.
air temps were about 93* on the line and hit 121*F in 4th gear/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif
A/F was still mid to high 11's, but I think I should try a little richer and less timing in the map so it stays off knock all together (or a little squirt of meth).

So I'm pretty happy with an 11.4 @ 121 on pumpgas, park the car and load up my tools, reinstall the headlight. Go to leave and the car wont start. after some investigating: no fuel pressure on gauge.

Check the pump, I have power at the plug. Pull out the sending unit and jumper the pump to the battery: it only turns on after getting whacked with a ratchet and was intermittent.

So supra pump died and left me stranded in the pits waiting for a tow truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

655790861_gvbtp-L.jpg

655829114_Kq6hK-L.jpg

(Iphone pics are not so wonderful quality, but that's all I had with me)

Last edited:

2of9

great numbers man. good thing it was only the fuel pump and not anything from the drivetrain. I'd be happy with a 120 trap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NateCrisman

I ran that blue Infinity twice actually, first and last run. it went 13.6 and 13.0 both at 108mph. somehow it's like 4X louder than my car. Has a vortec blower and drag radials, that's about all I noticed.

turbowop

Tell that kid in the baseball cap to sit his ass down. I can't see the last half of the run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Nice dude. Nice.

Brianawd

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I'm liking the look of the qtp on the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

Yeahm, the QTPs look nice, I wish someone else on here had the balls to run them, you know, someone who has a set chillin in their garage, ready to be mounted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brisvr4

Nice runs Nate!
Now I have a new time to chase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
Yeahm, the QTPs look nice, I wish someone else on here had the balls to run them, you know, someone who has a set chillin in their garage, ready to be mounted.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Brianawd

After seeing Nate's car and his 60fts I am doing. I just have to get the slicks from my friend after battle.

onesickcrx

Hey at least it is just the pump. The qtp's deffently doing there job tho pretty consitant even with clutch issues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Dthumb.gif I would like to see Brian's car on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sleepyvr4

sweet run Nate!

In the video the kid whose head gets in the way looks like he's looking at your car and then turns saying,"That's my dad!" lol

JSchleim18

Nice runs...what fuel pump are you going to run now?

Do you like the suspension?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Nice time and trap speed. I know a lot of people talk smack about the whinebros but the supra pumps also go bad once in a while. What are you getting next?

NateCrisman

So after thinking about it for a day, I have a few things I want to improve:

I definately need to stop being a pansy and just drop the clutch hard with some boost on the line and get a mid 1.5. There's another .1 to .15 off the ET. 1.6's on slicks is still weak!

AIT was picking up from 93* to 121*F during the pass. Boost was dropping from 28psi down to 24psi. One of the things that might be holding back some power is the fmic core (XSpower brand). I'd have to find some equipment to measure before/after pressure and temp to see if there is significant pressure drop across the core. A good 4" cold air intake would also help that too. Contemplating air/water ic if I find my fmic core is due for upgrade.

Another 100lb or so of weight loss = another tenth or so. (rear bumper support&foam is 50lb. I can find 50 more in seatbelts, seats, sunroof, manual mirrors, and lighter exhaust).

Next time out will be on 116 octane racegas. Im not sure there is much left for power to be had by getting a perfect 93 pumpgas tune, maybe 1mph at most. I was getting some knock on the last two runs, so I may be up against the wall for straight pumpgas as is. 121mph...I'm happy with that and feel fine with moving onto racegas now. Maybe 2mph to gain going to racegas, 20* of timing, and trying to get the boost as close to 30 as I can. The limit here becomes keeping the boost off the 29.8psi fuel cut that's built into the DS-Map software due to the limit of GM 3 bar map sensor.

Last on my list is larger exhaust. Got a line on a 3.5" BR 1gawd turboback. Lighter, cleaner, and maybe a tick of power?

Any thoughts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Awesome times Nate. You have my full respect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif. Keep up the good work. What clutch are you running again?

Brianawd

I think you will see more than 2mph with race gas tune. Also I really don't thing a bigger exhaust is going to help. It may give you a tinny bit more top end but its going to kill your torque down low that you have with the 50trim. I also think you will see the turbo having a harder time trying to hold boost.

Just retune for 116 turn up the boost and launch the sh*t out of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Impressive times on straight pum gas. I'm pretty sure the driver has a lot to do with it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts