The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Down pipe options

bmxkid415

My down pipe and "cat" have finally fell apart. Was heading up to Orlando FL and as soon as I took the on ramp from
I 75 to I 4 the car got loud. I knew something was up, I pulled over and saw the cat had broken off at the flang to the cat back. Needless to say a quick auto parts search on the GPS came in handy. Was able to get a small section of pipe and used exhaust putty. I wasn't turning back, Just filled the tank and the Cherokee gets horrible gas mileage.

The down pipe is a 3inch to a cat then a 2.5 stainless steel cat back with a magnaflow muffler on it. I know I can either use a 1G down pipe with a cat or a 2G one. Just seeing what others have done in the past and plan on doing. Not looking to break the bank, just want something that will or can bolt right up with out much hassels

Thanks for any help
Cory

AnotherNewb

The general set up is a 2g downpipe and a 1g cat back. You should check out tunersnation since the have vr4 specific set ups.

BluFalcon

I'm using a Road Race Engineering EV03 downpipe for a 1G AWD on my car. Fits perfectly, with no issues and it's decently priced. The downpipe goes 2.5 inches off the O2 housing and then goes to 3 inches after the flex section. I have a cat with flanges, so that the cat can be removed if needed. Like you know...at the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

just did 2g downpipe (ebay obx) and made an exhaust. here is a gvr4/1g awd exhaust difference pic i just took

2011-06-14185403.jpg

vr4 on right

Nartanian

Nice comparison. The DPs look interchangable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bmxkid415

Looks like the cat itself is just longer on the VR4. Interesting. As for Emissions, I can care less. The cat that was on the car was just a shell.

Anyone have pictures of a 2G down pipe set up?

NickDromez

i have an ebay 2g dp. it sorta fit. i got it done at an exhaust shop, and they had to bend it a little at the top so they could bolt it on easier. it also comes very close to the oil pan (idk if thats a concern of yours). also since its a cheap dp i had them cut it up so i could fit my "all flow 3'' cat". i have it connected to a 2.5" Thrush glass pack. and a black flowmaster muffler at the end. sounds great in my opinon, quiet at idle, loud at WOT.

bmxkid415

I would like something that would just some what bolt up with out much needed cutting or hacking. An option I was thinking was doing the 1G down pipe then have one of the guys in the body shop weld up a test pipe. I just need to get some flanges. I am going to head to work early tomorrow and at least get this clamp tight with my impact so I can at the very least drive the car the 2 miles from the shop and home with out it sounding like a dump truck

Just need to see what metal the guys can weld then go from there.

Thanks for the info!

raptorWagon

Megan racing has a 2G downpipe that could work, eliminates the cat, then just fab on the rest from there. If mine wasn't s one piece setup I'd send it to you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts