The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Don't Buy a NY VR4 or Anything!!!

turbophein

I forgot to mention this when i first got the car and just remembered.

i recently bought this car from NY, when at the registry filling out the new info, i noticed that NY does not require millage reading on cars older than 10 years, so i filled in the millage my car really has 158k and the lady denied it, she said she has to put 9999999 because there was no previous odometer reading. while still being calm about my rare cars title getting hacked, i asked to speak to a manager. sure enough they can't change it, they have no way of proving the actual milage so it just becomes 999999.

so i basically i just bought a car with TMU, its basically like a salvage title, in my eyes anyway.

anyone have any ideas, i tried calling the boston registry, good luck with that, noone knows what i am talking about.

This just plain sucks, hopefully if i decide to sell it one day, it will be to a board member who will understand this terrible tragedy. Poor VR4

There are many states that have similar rules. For mileage they put "exempt" or "999999" or some will put the stated mileage but also "odometer discrepancy" especially if there is nothing stated on the previous title, or it's unchanged from the previous title. It means nothing, as every other car in that state that is 10+ years old has a title marked the same way. It's not going to effect the value of the car, it's not the same as a salvage title.

Search for the thread about getting the letter of authenticity from Mitsubishi for your specific VIN, that will be more important in proving that it is a rare car.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Its not an odometer discrepancy. Its actually EXEMPT since the vehicles are over 10 years old. Both of my car titles (91vr4 and 89toyota camry) have EXEMPT written on them.

turbophein

thats what the NY title said "exempt" but MA puts it as "9999999"

mikus

meh, I see the vr4 same way I saw the 60's cars I used to buy... mileage is curious to know but not really important anymore.

Sean92AWD

May be only Mass. In CT i put in the mileage and they put it on the title.

G

Staff member
Did you run a carfax?

Andy_S

It really doesn't matter either way as everyone else is in the same boat. They wouldn't put anything other than EXEMPT or 999999 unless there was an issue. Like if the odometer only went to XX,XXX and it was over 100K then it would say IN EXCESS. Lots of times in WI it will say what the previous title said but then say NOT ACTUAL. Its really not a big deal and I am sure the DMV had a strange look on there face when you weren't happy about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbophein

well i am still not happy about it, i buy vehicles all the time, and that is one of the things i look at, and if i still wanted to buy them, i would low ball or just leave. but i'm glad the majority of you guys don't mind this discrepancy, when it comes down to reselling it in the future...

I hate MA...

gtluke

meh, don't worry about it.
that carfax sh*t is a joke.
my car is completely documented on carfax throughout the years as having up until last week 42,929 miles on it.
my car has 263,000 miles on it in reality.
so never trust carfax.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

My car comes up with an odometer discrepancy just because one of the previous owner in Kentfucky messed up.

This is what Carfax says:

" CARFAX Advisorâ„¢
An EML title is issued when the owner discloses an odometer rollover to a DMV. Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5-digit odometers that go from 99,999 to 00,000 every 100,000 miles.
Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable".

How the hell is that possible? lol The odometer on these cars has 6 digits.

Struc

Wisconsin has a similar rule. The GVR4 I just bought had 120's on it back when it was titled last. When I went in to put it in my name, the title I got had the same mileage listed, even though I put the correct miles on the paperwork. They just stop recording it after xx years.

Dialcaliper

The only thing the odometer is important for is insurance/resale value. Once a car goes over 100,000 miles, the "design life" of the car is ended and the actual mileage is no longer factored into the value. It's nothing to really worry about, all cars are the same way, regardless of rarity.

To put it another way, the only way mileage would make a difference in the value of your "rare" car is if you had treated it like a collector car and never put many miles on it. This is why it's important for older cars to keep some sort of service record.

G

Staff member
The reason i brought up carfax, was because maybe they would have accepted that as documentation as to how many miles were on it.

Andy_S

^The documentation doesn't matter, they just stop recording after 10 years. Every vehicle older than 10 has that happen, just the way they do it.

TakumiJr

just buy my car, legit mass title with 130k miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On a serious note, I've had numerous issues with the mass rmv with registering other vehicles. Most of the clerks at the rmv don't know much about the actual law. Especially out of state titles and bill of sales, they denied me a couple of times because the state don't require titles just bill of sale and reg.

Last edited:

turbophein

i am so pissed, just got the title in today. it is not just 9999999 it actual says "odometer discrepancy" in the title brand section... they game me a salvaged title pretty much.

there is no need for the "odometer discrepancy" i have 1 other title with all 9999999 as well and it is still a clean and clear title"

i just got off the phone with the registry, there pulling the file and then calling me back. we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts