The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Doing the brakes, question

deez

Okay, how can I get the pistons for the rear brakes back in the bores so I can get some pads in there? I pried on then with no luck. Any suggestions?

TMG

If you have the brake tool, you will need it to turn the piston back in. If not, you can just use long nose pliers and turn it that way (hopefully its not locked up). Do not push it back in.

deez

so it "screws" back in?

TMG

Yup, as long as its not locked up you can turn and push it in at the same time.

deez

huh, interesting. I'll give it a try. And if the caliper is not moving freely on the sliders, any remedies for that?

TMG

You can remove the caliper from the sliders and re lube it if its not sliding easily unless its rusted on.

deez

hmm...I'll go out and look at that right now to see if I can figure out how to get that apart

Barnes

Quoting conquesttsi:
I usually just use an old pad across the cylinder and a clamp.

On the rear calipers you can't do that. You need to screw in the piston, not press it in.

The best way to do that is to get this little gadget from the auto-store:

DarkDevilMMM

the little "pegs" on each side of rubix cube thingy will fit into different manufacture brake piston's "groves". When you find a side that fits, attach a 3/8" wrench directly on the opposite side and start twisting that thing to push the piston back in.

CP

Those cube things suck; don't even bother with them. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a brake caliper piston retractor kit. The Autozones around here loan them out.

spoulson

The cube worked well enough for me.

mitsuturbo

While you can easily stuff pads without having to add fluid or bleed anything, it's a LOT easier if you actually crack open the bleeder when pushing the piston back in while turning it.

Of course, this means you will HAVE to bleed the brakes and add fluid. i've done it both ways, depending on whether or not i had help around to work the pedal while i bleed each corner

deez

That cube looks cool, but needle nose pliers just worked well. Thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned