The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Doesn't switch to 1st

voxig

Hi all.My galant won't shift into 1st gear. I have a new TRE transmission and a new TMZ t-case. All other gears shift fine just won't shift into 1st. Any ideas on adjusting the shifter back or just any idea on fixing this problem will help.

yubh8tn

This problem can be caused by an improperly functioning clutch system, whether it be not fully bled or a bent clutch fork or what have you. If your clutch isn't fully disengaging then you'll have a hell of a time getting into first. Does the car go into first when it's not running?

Make sure the shifter is aligned correctly, http://www.vfaq.com/mods/shifter3.html

Anecdotally, I had this no 1st gear problem happen to me once after I reinstalled my transmission. It ended up being that I didn't tighten the transmission bolt closest to the slave cylinder all the way, so when you pressed the pedal it moved the entire transmission slightly instead of fully disengaging the clutch. I drove on it anyway and it ended up breaking my 1-2 shift rail end in my transmission from all the force I had to use to get into first

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts