The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does my ECU need to be looked at?

4Grim

I am having a issue of the pump not engaging while cranking the motor. The car has not ran for almost 6 years mostly sitting in the garage and sitting outside for about 6 months in good ol' Florida. I know the pump is good as I jumped it directly from my rear mounted battery. It has the fuel pump rewire and it was rewired before the car went into hibernation.

I am still early in my diagnosing, so I haven't checked if the CAS is the issue or the MPI relay. I went ahead and removed the ECU just to see maybe if the caps have leaked during its hibernation. Now I am not sure if the ECU needs to be serviced..but it doesn't look "clean" as most boards should be that I have seen.

Here are some pics I took from my phone for any ECU gurus to see if my ECU needs to be looked at and maybe the issue why my fuel pump isn't firing up during cranking.

20120704_101259.jpg

20120704_101309.jpg

20120704_101241.jpg

20120704_101247.jpg

My ECU has been worked on by Jestr Tuning about 8 years ago with new capicitors and EPROM'ed.

fuel

it looks like some of the tracks are damaged around the capacitors. I would look closely there. Are you able to get ahold of a spare ECU to swap in and try eliminate the ECU as the cause?

jepherz

Staff member
The pump should prime while cranking outside of the ECU's control I believe. Check your mpi relay first. If your ECU's fuel pump control is bad, the car will start but won't stay running.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

it is hard to tell from pictures, but looks like some of the cap may have leaked and the board is deff. dirty. if you have a friend who has one of these cars see if you can barrow the cas, mpi and the ecu and switch them out one at a time to try to find the problem. then buy the new part. if you do decide to get the ECU looked at send it to ECMlink in fredrickburg, maryland.

tommyp

Sure looks like flux residue around the cap leads which is not really a big deal. jepherz is correct, the start position of the ignition switch is what causes the pump to run before the ECU controls it. I'd look at the starter relay first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned