The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DIY injector cleaning

prove_it

Found this video, I'm wishing to discuss. I like jafromobiles approach to, as it will tell you more about the spray pattern. This on the other hand reverse flushes the injectors without a high pressure set-up. Which I think makes more sense to remove deposits.

I'd like to hear what everyone has to say. I haven't had E85 goo yet, but it would be nice to clean them out. Plus I picked up some used 1200cc injectors I wanna clean before installing, and yes I know I could ship them out, but why spend 100 bucks to do that. Sure it's precise but hey I like free.
DIY injector cleaning

AnotherNewb

I once built a PWM for running an injector (screwing around trying to make a fuel injected lawn mower) they can be built/bought for cheap and way safer than just connecting 12v straight to the injector. You could probably figure out a way to connect a sealed container to the injector inlet and pressurize it with compressed air to its normal running pressure, fill the container with your cleaner of choice and let it run until you get a clean spray pattern. You could even figure out your flow rates like this with a graduated cylinder.

prove_it

Oh, the 12v is way wrong. I just built a injector harness. Used a AA battery and it cycles them perfectly. Used a momentary push button instead too.

Lancer99

Why not a 1/3 of seafoam in a pressurized can run through the fuel rail?

prove_it

I thought about building a stand to run all four at the same time using the fuel rail. I'd like to build a reservoir to hold a can fluid the have air pressure to push it into the rail, then use a battery and switch to cycle the injectors. Just need to figure out the retainers to hold the injector in. For now, I pulled my FICs and found goo. First time it's happened in 2 years. I'm going to try a basic set-up for now to see how well they clean up. My buddy has the same injectors in his car, so going to clean mine and swap to try. I was swapping out for 1200s, so have to see if his car runs the same or better with the cleaned injectors.

Been wondering if it's best to remove the inlet screen to the injector for cleaning or if it's not worth it.

AnotherNewb

Why not use a stock fuel rail and a properly drilled plate of aluminum?

prove_it

That's the general idea Evan. It the same as what Jafromobile shows in his videos. Issue with doing in car is that you can't see if it's fully cleaned or not.

EHmotorsports

I have taken injectors to cleaners before and most do the same thing with there own home made cleaner machine. I haven't been impressed with how well they are getting cleaned. maybe its the cleaner they are using. I started sending mine out to FIC for a sonic clean and have always been impressed with it. you also get a flow dyno chart after they are cleaned. only costs 50-60 plus shipping.

with that said I do think its a good idea to have a home cleaner to check the spray pattern and verify if they are bad or not.

Last edited:

prove_it

Yea, I'm a tight a** so I hate spending money if it really doesn't need it.

G

Staff member
You guys are forgetting about the filter baskets. How are you going to replace them?

before_after.jpg

prove_it

My third post I ponder at the end about the filters. I'm not sure what to say about it. Is there a source for new filters, would a stock screen fit FICs or other, are they all the same size? I haven't had a chance to find any info myself so was hoping someone would know.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned