The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Different front engine brackets?

tektic

Looking through my parts and noticed one power steering bracket labeled 10 and one labeled 8. Are they different?

Last edited:

tektic

I meant the front engine bracket that in turn holds the power steering pump bracket. Ihe one with the 2 studs that the rt side L shaped engine mount bolts to. Sorry. I guess that wasn't very clear at all.

strokin4dr

Pics?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have never noticed a number on mine. Where is it located?

I have never noticed a difference either. The bracket would not be a cast or molded part, so I see no reason for a number on them.

tektic

Still wondering about this

This one is from a non turbo manual 1g. The one from my auto Galant gsx has an 8 instead of a 10.

Last edited:

tektic

I just noticed these are a matched set. The engine that came out of my Galant has an 8 cast into the the timing bracket as well. There is a 10 cast into the dsm bracket.
Someone please look to see what number is cast on the vr4 brackets please.

I took a picture but won't upload right now. I'll try again later.

holeshotmoe

VR4 stock is an "8". Here's the one directly above the pump (in a mirror). Not sure the other one you're referring to.

tektic

Thank you. I was afraid of that... although hopefully this is actually the issue with the drive train noise.

Edit: ASA says they are the same... Unless I'm using it wrong. I don't know why they have two different numbers on them. Looking up that I came upon this:

Driver bracket for vr4------------Mb436505
Driver bracket for awd dsm--------MB346741

Why do I remember being told over and over again that the driver side mount was the same size?
SANY0290.jpg

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

I just checked ASA for my galant and my 90 eclipse VINs
and confirmed your numbers for the L-shaped brackets.

Also confirmed your number for the cast piece. But I
checked my eclipse and it has an "8", not a "10".
Lastly, front-center bracket (under the turbo) on the
eclipse has 347 on it...but it's a 5-speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:

tektic

The 347 number is for a awd eclipse front, yes.

Your awd eclipse has a 8 on it? I wonder if the 10 is from fwd only?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Are the 8 and the 10 actually discernibly dimensionally different? Some times those are just casting mold numbers.

I think the main difference is the FWD vs. AWD configurations. Due to the gearbox/transfer case the positioning and I believe even the angle are different.

Last edited:

tektic

I'm digging through my parts bin after lunch to see if I have a set of 8s. The other one is already installed on a rebuilt block.

holeshotmoe

Quoting tektic:
The 347 number is for a awd eclipse front, yes.

Your awd eclipse has a 8 on it? I wonder if the 10 is from fwd only?

Yes, yes, and maybe (don't know)

tektic

I have two side / timing bracket that I measured and compared. That's not actually an 8 as far as I can tell. There's 3 digit numbers on the intake side of them. One bracket says 326 the other says 327. 327 is about 8mm taller than the other.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Check the size of your pictures. Uploads are limited to 2 MB. I usually have to resize my 4 or 5 MB pictures to load here.

tektic

I updated my thread. It was intact image size. The side bracket is definitely different for fwd cars. I haven't been able to discern a difference withe the front bracket.

On another note the engine mount itself is different. Someone please measure this a vr4 specific one for me .

tektic

The plot thickens... my car is actually different then your cars. The driver side bracket on the automatic is slanted foward a 1/4".

tektic

This is what I'm talking about .

Today I installed a Galant vr4 front roll stop mount inside the 344 bracket I already had mounted in my car. It's smaller than the dsm roll stop in many ways. As a result, the engine is no longer twisted. The bracket for the drivers side engine mount is pushed forward more so on the automatic e38a chassis than in a manual e39a. The distance between the valve cover and the rad support on a vr4 is 9-5/8" . This is the measurement I now have on the passenger side, but In order for me to get that on the drivers side I have to move this bushing loop approximately 14.5mm to the front. That's quite a way. I wonder if a bracket exist like this in other markets.

Edit: lol! I think it does exist. I linked a picture of it earlier in this same thread!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts