The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Difference between VR-4 and VR-4 Monte Carlo Edition

curtis

Oh and fuel the sapporo will be sick

I have a picture somewhere on my computer of a silver conquest with a 3000gt motor and two garretts.. If I find it I'll post it up.

curtis

Found it but comes up with server error. PM me and I'll try later.

H05TYL

Quoting curtis:
You guys left out one thing....The monte carlos had a 65/35 split center diff because the rally there was high percent tarmac. We had a russian member on here for a while with one. mromik was his name....

There's no mention of the 'tarmac' centre diff in the original brochure. Also, the works cars weren't limited to the stock drivetrain (they used 6 speed dog boxes) though there's no mention of centre diff's in the homologation papers, the early cars ran locked centre diff's, which definitely weren't offered on a production model.

A friend of mine used to own one. It had the same 'open' centre diff and VCU as every other vr4.

from www.vr4.co.nz
90_10_monte_01L.jpg

rest of brochure is here >> link

note also that the lower powered variant is the automatic transmission option.

fuel

It's possible the 65/35 split center diff could have been an aftermarket one such as the one Cusco offers.

fuel

Quoting curtis:
Oh and fuel the sapporo will be sick

I have a picture somewhere on my computer of a silver conquest with a 3000gt motor and two garretts.. If I find it I'll post it up.

Yeah I know the one, has two T70 turbos from memory. I'm not sure what box he is using behind it but I assume it's some box common in American cars, possibly a T5? He's converted it to rack and pinion too and the rack sits in front of the engine crossmember, and the front strut bars have been relocated. In my opinion its not the most prettiest of conversions from an engineering point of view. Here in NZ, we have to certify any major modifications to the car so the quality and engineering of the work has to be of a reasonably high standard in order to pass.

Quoting H05TYL:
Quoting curtis:
You guys left out one thing....The monte carlos had a 65/35 split center diff because the rally there was high percent tarmac. We had a russian member on here for a while with one. mromik was his name....

There's no mention of the 'tarmac' centre diff in the original brochure. Also, the works cars weren't limited to the stock drivetrain (they used 6 speed dog boxes) though there's no mention of centre diff's in the homologation papers, the early cars ran locked centre diff's, which definitely weren't offered on a production model.

A friend of mine used to own one. It had the same 'open' centre diff and VCU as every other vr4.

from www.vr4.co.nz
rest of brochure is here >> link

note also that the lower powered variant is the automatic transmission option.

That's an awesome link. Looks like the only thing that's mentioned on the brochure in regards to the drivetrain is that the Monte Carlo Edition comes with "Rear VCU type LSD" unlike the rest.
Wow, I just noticed that these things weigh 1,685 kg!! (auto 1,705 kg) ...after all, the concept of this car was "luxury sport" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

H05TYL

Quote:
Wow, I just noticed that these things weigh 1,685 kg!! (auto 1,705 kg) ...after all, the concept of this car was "luxury sport"

hmm, on the line before that it says 1,410kg (1,430kg) which is the dry weight - My Japanese isn't good enough to understand what the weights you quoted refer to...

fuel

probably max gross laden weight. Mine is similar spec to the Monte Carlo and weighs 1450kgs supposedly.

Quoting H05TYL:
Wow, I just noticed that these things weigh 1,685 kg!! (auto 1,705 kg) ...after all, the concept of this car was "luxury sport"

hmm, on the line before that it says 1,410kg (1,430kg) which is the dry weight - My Japanese isn't good enough to understand what the weights you quoted refer to...

The Mitsubishi Galant Monte Carlo Edition brochure click shows the weight as 1,685 kg (1,705 kg), but on this japanese car website, click it's showing 1,410 kg (1,430 kg). I say the Mitsu brochure is more reliable..

Last edited by a moderator:

H05TYL

The Mitsubishi Galant Monte Carlo Edition brochure click shows the weight as 1,685 kg (1,705 kg), but on this japanese car website, click it's showing 1,410 kg (1,430 kg). I say the Mitsu brochure is more reliable..

Look at the Mitsu brochure again, on the line before "1,685 kg (1,705 kg)" it also says "1,410 kg (1,430 kg)" without knowing what the Japanese writing on each line says we won't know for sure, however I suspect fuel may be correct.

Dialcaliper

I finally figured out the source of this rumor when I picked up a copy of "Motor Fan Illustrated" with info on the Evo X. There's a little chart with "history" of the SAWC, and it includes *two* "Galant VR-4" entries - one in 1988 showing the drivetrain with a VCU, and one in 1992 that features a 35/65 torque split with a primitive version of an electronic clutch pack (predating the ACD on the Evo VII).

At first I thought, wow, the Monte Carlo Edition! But the electronic clutchpack seemed a little weird. With some help from my girlfriend in translating the Japanese, it turns out that the 1992 35/65 "Galant VR-4" actually seems to refer to the 7G Galant VR-4 (twin-turbo V6), which was actually introduced before the 6G Galant was discontinued.

The entry then jumps back to the viscous coupling and AYC diff introduced on the Evo IV. Presumably the 8G Galant VR-4 did not use the 35/65 "tarmac" diff, and instead used the Evo VII drivetrain.

Also, This Technical Paper from Mitsubishi seems to also have vague mentions of the "Electronically Controlled Center Differential" on the 1992 Galant VR-4

It's likely that the "ECCD" (an acronym which Subaru now lays claim to) system was never used in the Evo until the kinks were worked out for the 7th generation due to durability issues and weight penalty) (similar to the Active Suspension in the Galant GSR), and the whole situation with switching to WRC homologated cars.

True or not? If I remember, I'll see if I can snap a picture of the chart. Since so few 7G VR-4's make it to English speaking countries, and even fewer have actually had transmissions taken apart, Who knows?

Quoting curtis:

I did a search +monte +carlo = click me for pictures of one.

do the same search >>>>>> +monte +carlo

fuel

^^ Ahh that makes sense

The manual versions of the E74A (no 4WS) and E84A (4WS) 7th gen Galant have the same running gear as a Lancer Evo1-3, and don't have a 65/35 VCU.

The automatic versions however are equipped with traction control and what Mitsubishi calls 'Trace' the the torque to the front wheels is electronically controlled and there is a bar graph on the tacho similar to an E39A boost bar graph indicating the amount of torque being sent to the front wheels at any given time.

Also, the 7th gen was relased *After* the 6th gen, it's just the 6th gen stopped production in Japan early 1992 while the 7th gen picked up mid way through 1992. As usual the US spec is a year or two behind :p

Hey guys, just signed up. Came across this thread and thought I'd post some pics of my car. I've actually got a monte carlo. There is only about three of them in Australia and I was very luck to get mine. Pics are random from over the years.

fuel

a real shame the rare evo front bumper is hacked up but nice car otherwise

bazeng

The very first VR4 guy I met when I first owed my VR4 owned a MONTE CARLO VR4.
It was stock bar blow off valve and exhaust.

I went to a few races with this guy and I tell ya, it munched everything off the line.
It had the close ratio box, rear lsd and a 4bolt. He regularly launched at 7000rpm with a clutch drop.

Anyway, he sold it a few years after without doing very much to it.
I ran him when I had a tdo5/6 23g and some other mods with my very tired engine, he managed to run 13.6 and I was doing 13.4 at the time.

Good old memories!

The car is now somewhere out there with a crappy turbo (ebay special) and forged motor. It is basically a mess now which is a shame.

Maybe one day I'll find it, and buy it cheap!

This community is awesome!!!I get a lot of new information from this thread.Thank you!

By the way,discussion about transmisions gave me one interesting idea.
Besides Eclipse GSR-4 I have Talon TSi AWD (maybe I'm crazy) gearbox that came with car in very poor condition and begs for repair,so I want to buy another one "good" gearbox to replace old one.I want to buy Evo 3 tranny,but it seems to be hard to get it all work together(gearbox,rear diff,drive shafts) so I thought,maybe some Galant VR-4 had gearbox with 3.545 ratio and front lsd?
Any opinions?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts