The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Developed another water leak.

SleepinGVR4

This time water just started leaking from the lamp on the ceiling of the car. Yes my car is sunroof car. Is it my sunroof? If so what can I do to fix it? And I've already replaced all the sunroof drains.

mitsuturbo

Set it on fire.
Burn it, and send it to hell.

I know this is not helpful, but it's all i've got.

Brunoboy

Sunroof drains maybe clogged, my headliner used to get wet but i took the trim off n resealed it up.

4thStroke

My passenger rear footwell is soaked. Where'd that be coming from? How easy it it to put a hole in these floor pans? The car is not rusted out underneath.

Brunoboy

rear? maybe trunk seals? on the left side, check under the rear seats to see if its wet.

belize1334

How about water dripping from the seat-belt track? Sunroof or maybe windshield trim?

SleepinGVR4

Quoting brunoboy:
rear? maybe trunk seals? on the left side, check under the rear seats to see if its wet.

How would the trunk seal cause a water leak from the over head lamp right behind my rear-view mirror? But I will check under the rear seat anyway.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting belize1334:
How about water dripping from the seat-belt track? Sunroof or maybe windshield trim?

I actually have had water drip from the driver-side seat-belt track before. Its real intermittent. The windshield was replaced when I reassembled the car about a year ago, but who knows. The funny thing is that this chassis has a ton of miles but very minimal if any rust. And where there is rust its due to water leaks. I've been trying to fix them but its one of the most pain in the ass things I've had to deal with.

The trunk leaks from the driver-side wing mount too. I've replaced the rubber mount under the wing but it didn't help. My next step to to remove the wing and run a bead of caulk on the bottom of the mount.

toybreaker

iconoclast
A turkey baster from the dollar store can help troubleshoot suspected sunroof drain issues.

Fill the baster with water, insert the tip into the drain hoses, (one at a time) and inject the contents. The average baster holds about as much water as the i.d of the hose could contain if it was blocked, so a second baster's worth would overflow when added to the hose if the hose is restricted/blocked.

It's worth noting that the front drains are routed into the rear of the front fender area, just ahead of the door. If this area is clogged with organic debris, the drain won't function properly.

Good luck troubleshooting this, and please update the thread so others can learn from your experiences.

Brunoboy

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting brunoboy:

How would the trunk seal cause a water leak from the over head lamp right behind my rear-view mirror? But I will check under the rear seat anyway.

I answered with sunroof trim, then someone aaid rear floor so i answered them too.
-shane

SleepinGVR4

Quoting toybreaker:
A turkey baster from the dollar store can help troubleshoot suspected sunroof drain issues.

Fill the baster with water, insert the tip into the drain hoses, (one at a time) and inject the contents. The average baster holds about as much water as the i.d of the hose could contain if it was blocked, so a second baster's worth would overflow when added to the hose if the hose is restricted/blocked.

It's worth noting that the front drains are routed into the rear of the front fender area, just ahead of the door. If this area is clogged with organic debris, the drain won't function properly.

Good luck troubleshooting this, and please update the thread so others can learn from your experiences.

Ok thanks Toybreaker. Thats a good idea. I just hate removing the headliner...again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
You might be able to use the baster on the front drains without removing the headliner ...

(iirc correctly,) the holes for the drains are visible in the corners of the sunroof frame with the sunroof open.

It's worth checking anyway.

edit If you do have to drop the headliner, after you dry/clean it, toss a couple of bounce dryer sheets on top of it before you re-install it. They'll help absorb water and prevent any mustiness if the area gets wet again.

Last edited:

4thStroke

In regards to my leak... I pulled the carpet up (and seat bottom). I was not able to determine where the leak was coming from. I had put some polyurethane sealer over the drain plug a while back to prevent a possible issue (the coating pealed off the top of it). The sealer peal right off (I suspect from water sitting on top of it with the carpet rubbing as well), but the grommet is still in good shape. I'll take another look when I have a chance with some sunlight.

SleepinGVR4

Spence, I had a similar problem with water on the driver side. I found out that the wires (for the window controls) that go from the door to the body of the car are protected by this rubber sheath (you can see this when you open the door). Well at either end of the rubber sheath are these rubber grommets that have to slip over these plastic ends on the door and body of the car. If those are rubber grommets are not on the plastic ends or there is a hole in them, water will leak in through the rubber grommets and leak out the bottom of the door into your car. Or leak in behind your ecu since your having a problem on the passenger side. Mine was leaking in behind the fuse box on the drivers side. They are a real bitch to get on if they come off but they have to go back on.

If you had no idea what I'm talking about due to me not being able to describe what I'm talking about very well I can take a picture for you.

Hope this helps

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned