The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Detonation Signal wire question...

chrisfullwood

I'm rebuilding my ECU harness connector, i checked the Dealer network wiring harness, and it lists nothing for pin 9 on the large ECU connector. However when i check other sites online, it lists the Detonation signal. I have a 91 ECU, i'm not sure if its the VR4 or a Eclipse turbo. but i know its a 91.

Question: given that the manufacturer shows no wire in pin 9, should i put one there, and connect it to the knock sensor.

I'm thinking yes, but i thought i would put the question out there before i finalize the new harness and connectors that i'm building.

alansupra94

I don't see what you are talking about:

82422-0-0-0.jpg

82423-0-0-0.jpg

chrisfullwood

look at pin 9, it shows detonation sensor (knock sensor)

below is the image from the wiring diagrams i have, this is the 91 galant turbo, now look at pin 9 on this diagram.

alansupra94

I don't think that diagram is right. The one on this board is 100% correct I know for a fact.

chrisfullwood

Thats my suspicion as well, so i of course went with the board posted diagram, and put that wire in. Ill include pictures of the harness connectors im building... The reason for it, was the amount of splicing that was done by previous owners, caused serious connection issues, and severely weakened the harness. So im basically going to leave the ECU plugged into the ECU, and simply separate it at the new plugs, should i need to remove the ECU.

alansupra94

Thats pretty cool. I would have picked up some Mil Spec circular connectors off ebay. They are so nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

chrisfullwood

you know i really wanted to grab some from my avionics shop, and i thought about getting them online, but i dont have the proper crimping tools, to put the connectors on the wires, and then the insertion tool, to put them into the cannon plug (thats the military term for the circle connectors). So i'm making the most of what radio shack has to offer.

I forgot to mention i'm an aircraft electrician... lol

alansupra94

Lol nice. I got lucky and my dad use to work at Kearfott so all his co-workers help me out. They have all the tools I could ever use.

chrisfullwood

Here is a picture with the completed ECU side connector for the 24 pin connector. All i have to do now is wire up the vehicle side connector, and then go try to connect all the wires up... fun fun.

chrisfullwood

I have a question about a different harness connector.

For 90 GSX cars running the 91-94 ECU, you swap pin 6 and pin 14. on the GSX pin 6, is the idle closed switch, but pin 14 is empty. So you simply move pin 6, into the slot for pin 14, however on the 91 VR4, pin 6 is an airflow sensor wire (resistor, according the the diagram in the post) However there is no corresponding wire on the 90 GSX harness.

I'm using the 2G MAS so it may be a mute point entirely, I have made the harness conversion. Before i tore all this apart, I had swapped those pin 6 to the position of pin 14, but i hadn't paid any attention to the differences in the harness. I'm assuming it doesn't cause an issue, this additional wire being missing?

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned