The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

deteriorated coil pack outlet. What would cause this?

So I fired up the G ride on sat for the first time in two+ years and it idled great even with a vacuum leak (forgot to plug in the cc line) but later on I went to clean up some wires and vacuum lines and I noticed that my number 1 cylinder outlet on my coil pack is severly deteriorated. I can't really say that it is melted because it doesn't look like something melted would but it is broken down quite a bit. Extreme heat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

What would cause this?

click

PS galant forum has been really flakey for me lately, giving me error reports after sending pm's and not giving me a link when I upload a pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just removed it from the car, going to swap it with another one, here is a close up picture.

coilpack_7-19-2010_005_small.jpg

W. T. F. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Could be a poor connection between that wire and that terminal. I would be sure the end of that wire is not "Smashed" or anything. It should take some force to push in there and make good contact all the way around the sides. If your wire is not making good contact you will get electricity jumping the air gap it creates and that will melt or eat away at the surrounding plastic. I would inspect the wires, and get some of that spark plug "terminal grease" that goes between the plugs and the wires and use it there.

Yeah I had some di-electric grease on them.

I'm wondering if maybe I did not push one of the wires all the way in when I was messing with a while back.

I will swap them and see if it does it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That is the only thing I can think of that could cause the pack to deteriorate like that, but I know it is a fairly expensive "test" to just get a new one. Maybe measure each of the wires with an ohm meter and see if that wire is different than the others.... couldnt hurt to check the plugs while your at it too. Just look for anything that is different about that specific cylinder on the plugs, wires, etc. If nothing sticks out maybe switch the plug that was in the cylinder and the wire to a new cylinder just for kicks and get a new pack. That way if it happens again you can see if the wire is causing it or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Kind of a strange problem.

fivestardsm

I have seen this numerous times. It is from a worn out wire and a crack in the dated plastic/ bakealite. It just happens to the old coil packs. The one thing that I have noticed, its most generally the same outlet for the #1 wire. This is because of the shorter wire which produces a greater spark value.

Anyway, toss it, and leave it, and pull up quick and retrive it.... a new one that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

boostedinaz

Fivestar was using Sir Mix A Lot lyrics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Baby got back.........what a throw back from the past. Coincidently they have been playing that on one of our radio stations lately.

I'd definitely throw it out, and grab a new one. Also, make sure you properly connect the wire this time.

Quoting boostedinaz:
Fivestar was using Sir Mix A Lot lyrics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Oh sh*t I didn't even catch that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yeah I don't know how that happened but I'll keep an eye on the other one I install and make sure I have them all seated correctly.

fivestardsm

Yeah, there was something on tv when I was writeing that.. I didnt even realize it until i typed it.. Subconcious I guess. I just went with it.

Also, get some of the wire grease that they sell at the parts store. It will help against the corrossion.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned