The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dear new/prospective owners

broxma

I'm happy everyone enjoyed the cut of my jib on this one. More Q/A responses along the same vein are greatly appreciated. I made this post in a response to two almost identical posts regarding very basic GVR4 topics, both appeared to have their catharsis in some previous misinformation. Figured we should have some way of letting new owners know where the average current owner stands, how the forum operates, why we don't have 9 billion sub forums, who WOP is and what 1051 means to anyone, etc. So again, all the 'you who know who you are's', please put those "I wish I didn't have to answer that question for the 300th time" Q and A's here I suppose if the mods are soinclined to allow for such things.

/brox

Terry Posten

Q = What is the fastest color?

A = Summit White

DUH.

3O3EL0VR4

There is no other way to put it Broxma, and I couldn't agree more with you...
Great post

boostedinaz

Another thing to further back my thoughts that cheap parts can be a huge gamble. I'm trying to get 1101 back on the road and do it on the the cheap. I've had to pass on using my normal factory Mitsu parts and find some cheaper alternatives. I hated doing and felt dirty putting them on the motor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Most stuff like gaskets for the valve cover or intake mani aren't a huge deal for a stock car. I've even seen succes with non OEM timing belts if used for a short time.

I bought a timing belt and tensioner from Rock Auto (this isn't their issue they just had the parts in stock for cheap) and slapped it all on. As I'm doing the brakes the other day and found some interesting stuff I started to look over car in more detail and noticed the timing belt on the crank sprocket had a lot of slack in it. Last night I pulled the timing cover (was wishing the motor was still on a stand) and found the cheap tension had colapsed after 0 miles.

Pulled it off and put a low milage used 533 tensioner on it and problem solved. When I went to compress the cheap tension in the clamp to put the pin back in there was minimal resistance. I didn't notice any leaks but it was dark and I was just trying to get the car back on the ground.

Had I started the car I would probably had 16 bents valves, more money dumped into it, and a dead project.

Last edited:
I'm a newb to GVR4.org but I've had mine for over 7 years and several DSMs before her. I am glad to see the members of this site are so passionate about their cars, not only are they limited production, but were pivotal in the "evolution" of cars like the Lan-evo. Not to mention just great all around cars. Mine has been sitting for about 2 years after suspected oil pump seal failure. You could say I was demoralized. There ARE a couple teeth missing of the timing belt, but I didn't try to restart it once it died. Well, it's sat long enough and I've started stripping it down for a thorough cleaning. Then it will get backed into the garage while the engine gets sorted out. I don't mean to be long winded but the recent progress with my car has inspired me to join the only site that knows what they're talking about, and I'm just happy to be on board. Thanks for the support :p

Well said, wished I had a guy like broxma close by lol good advice man. I was once told by a wise man to always build a car from the ground up. So for the most part almost all my cars have always started with suspension, brakes, tires etc first almost lol....

Last edited by a moderator:

Epifool

Brought home 1848/2000 (1991) today. Im'a happy, and'a grinnin, yessir! So she needs some love... what girl thats worth having doesnt? ? I love her. Before i even got her home, i got stopped by a guy in my town who had a 92mostly jus like her. Just seeing that look on his face, like he regretted trading his in on a lancer, i knew, ima keep her.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts