The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DD Build 474/1000

matt92vr4

I was looking at the IC purchase and it's actually an EVO9 IC. I've had it for two years waiting to go on the vr4 and it took that long to get around to it.

Anyways, I finished up the install today and added a second slim fan. I'm really happy with the outcome. Butt dyno approves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here are some pics.

Slim Fans

IC complete with the bumper off.

Bumper on.

Nothing hanging out of the bottom.

Passenger side tucked up close to the foglight. This is where I cut too much metal in the previous step. Plastic panels hide all of this.

Hot side pipes.

Engine bay etc.

Finished! Love that smile. What front mount?

matt92vr4

6/25/15 update:

Shortly after the IC install in February I noticed that the exhaust was smoking horribly and I was burning a quart of oil every 15 miles. My first thought was the turbo went bad. I dropped the downpipe at that time expecting to see a ton of oil leak out of the hotside. Nothing, clean as a whistle! Pulled the intake pipes off, clean as a whistle. My next guess was that the rings never seated and the engine is gone. I did not take the block to a machine shop, I just honed it and installed the new pistons with the correct ring gap.

I parked it expecting to have to pull the motor again. Last week I got tired of driving the Stealth everyday without AC so I pulled the Galant back out. Compression tested good, about 170 each. Leakdown tested good at about 20% each. That surprised me a bit. Burning 1 qt every 15 miles is a serious issue! It should be easy to find the problem!

Pulling my hair out at this point, I removed the valve cover to see if the valve stem seals fell off or disappeared. They were all in place and in tact. In a last ditch effort I called a buddy who is a ASE master tech. He asked me about the PCV valve. I had installed a Krankvent in place of the PCV valve when I put the EVO intercooler on. He instructed to plug the intake and run both valve cover vents to atmosphere. I didn't think this could possibly be causing this much oil to burn but I did as he said because I've never seen him wrong about car diag.

Sure enough, has not burned a drop in 400 miles! Crazy. I'm pretty happy I don't have to pull the motor again this soon. 474/1000 back on the road and getting new tires today!

matt92vr4

Rolled 170,000 miles last week. I'm taking the G to run the Dragon in a couple weeks so I thought it was time to install new struts and springs. Looks like it dropped about an inch. She got new tires too. Hopefully the next update will include some Dragon pics. For now it's the family car pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt92vr4

Hit the Dragon this past weekend. Had a great time. 1470 mile round trip and she ran like a champ.

matt92vr4

10/28/15
Been DD'ing it for the past 3 months. Hit a small milestone yesterday. 175,000. Still running at 10-11psi. Last week I had a frozen left rear brake caliper. Found a replacement at Advance Auto. List of mods I hope to install soon:

FPR
AEM Wideband
Fuel Pump hot wire kit.

After I get these in and fix one of the three Monteros for DD duty, I should be able get back to the track for some tuning and times.

matt92vr4

178,500 mile update:

Went to the track on Saturday to check out some EcoBoosts. Thinking about getting in to them so I thought I'd go take a look at what was available. It was the same price to watch or race so I figured the Galant would be upset just sitting in the parking lot. Not looking to break any records, just have some fun.

Got 3 runs in before it was time to go home. Ran like a champ but pretty darn slow. 19psi and a ton of timing pulled out. I think I have 12 degrees pulled at some places just to be safe. Two step at 4500. The slowest run had a passenger riding shotgun. All three pretty consistent. I don't have the wideband installed yet. I suspect I could pull a little fuel out and add timing when I have time to tune better. Best run was 13.6@101 and two 13.7's. I beat a 80's Monte Carlo and a gutted Civic. Lost to a c5 in the very last few feet after pulling 5+cars on him at the tree. He complimented the car later in the night.

Found 3 EcoBoosts, a 3.5l Taurus SHO, 2.3l Mustang, and 1.0l Focus. The SHO and Mustang were running 13.0's pretty much stock but the focus was in the mid 18's. I think the SHO and Mustang has potential. Anyone else looking at turbo Fords?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned