The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Daydreaming about wheels

Whoodoo

As some of you may know, my Rota's aren't going to cut it anymore because I want to put 3kgt trailing arms on 62 in order to get big brakes all around. This, consequently, requires me to do a 5 lug swap and, as my Rota's are 4 lug, I need to find some new wheels.

The easiest, most logical, cost effective, and available wheel would be stock evo, but I'm not a huge fan of evo wheels on the GVR4. Some cars pull it off very nicely, like the silver ggsx with evo 8's that someone here has (sorry I don't remember who you are, but your car is beautiful). I just don't think the evo 8's go with a black car; they're too flat on the outside. I like wheels that are a bit more rounded because it complements the nicely rounded shoulder line of the galant.

For example, here's my car now.

I absolutely love the look of these wheels. The color, and the style fit right in with what I want this car to look like when its finished.

example of evo 9 enkeis:
103301-0-0-0.jpg

The evo 9's aren't as flat at the evo 8's and are even the same design as my Rotas, but there is a subtle roundness the my spokes that the enkeis don't have which just makes them not fit the car like I want. Even the evo BBS wheels are all flat-like. Basically evo wheels look good on the more angularly styled evo, not our more roundy old-skool styled galant.

So now, let me get into the meat of the discussion I want to have with you, my wonderful forum mates. I have had my eye on the performance option wheel from the infiniti G lineup. They are made by Rays and are forged so they are strong and light, but there are just a few problems...
front_3.jpg

WHEEL SPECS:
FRONT
Size: 19" x 8"
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 114.3mm
Offset: +33mm
Center Bore: 66.1mm

REAR
Size: 19" x 8.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 114.3mm
Offset: +30mm
Center Bore: 66.1mm

First of all, they are HUGE. At 19 inches, I'd need to put some serious rubber bands on them - I'm thinking like 225/35/19's. I'd probably need to do some fender rolling and other tom-foolery inside the arches.

Second, they are staggered and I know the rears will be too fat, so I'd need to find 2 pairs of fronts, which will probably be a PITA.

Third, they are +30mm offset. +35 is known to work with negative camber, and that extra 5mm is bound to be yet another PITA.

Fourth, the center bore is 1mm too small, so they would have to be bored out to fit.

As far as getting big rims to fit, I know Bazeng has, or had, 19's on his AMG, FCR had 19x8's with 235/35/19's but had a fairly high ride height. More of you have run 18 inch wheels and made them look great (Garfield Wright, Boostin4door, RedTwo). I'm just not so sure about that extra inch. I don't want the car to look comical, and if they came in 18 inch flavor, I'd forget about all the other crap and just go for it.

What's your opinion on 19 inch wheels, getting them to fit, big wheels in general, and these ones specifically? Would they be worth it?

mitsuturbo

19's will ride too rough, IMO.
I had a friend who had 18's on his 2g, and he sold them because it was too bumpy.
I ran 17's for a while, and even that was kind of rough, but i suppose it's bearable.
Maybe someone on here has actually run 18's or 19's and can chime in about their experience.

With the center bore you can use a 1/4 in spacer and pull the face of the bore out so it wouldn't matter. 235s all around and probably a good amount of camber and I can see those working.

Will it look good? No clue.

Jesh

Quoting mitsuturbo:
19's will ride too rough, IMO.
I had a friend who had 18's on his 2g, and he sold them because it was too bumpy.
I ran 17's for a while, and even that was kind of rough, but i suppose it's bearable.
Maybe someone on here has actually run 18's or 19's and can chime in about their experience.

I run 18's as my summer tires and up here in Alaska the roads are pretty bad. but the driving response is amazing! They are pretty bumpy and if i had to choose again i would get 17's. They don't do well on the gravel roads up here. ( just a side note... i originally wanted 17's but none were available, and the 18's were a good deal ) oh and I'm running stock suspension.
But if you want to run 19's... i say go for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting cherrod8:
If your going to go for Rays wheels then why not a pair of 17x8.5 Time Attack TE37's, btw the time attack are black with the red pin stripe along the lip. Matter of fact I think there might be a pair sitting in my house for $1500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

I think he'd want all four wheels, rather than just a pair.

BrandonEchols

Quoting cherrod8:
If your going to go for Rays wheels then why not a pair of 17x8.5 Time Attack TE37's, btw the time attack are black with the red pin stripe along the lip. Matter of fact I think there might be a pair sitting in my house for $1500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Those are a very nice wheel.
But truthfully, if I were to buy a Ray's made wheel...it'd be this one:
nengun-1942-02-raysengineering-ralliart_-_evolution_r01.png

Probably in white, to match my car though.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Check out the new Enkei PF01 if you like that style wheel (as I do...).

H05TYL

With 19's I don't think you'll get it low enough to look good.

The fenders are plenty big enough, but the rear upper arm and the steering tie rod in the front get real close to the chassis before that becomes an issue.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Sound too complicated to make those G35 rims fit. Lets say you do all that (find 2 fronts, bore them out, etc) and they end up rubbing then what? Another thing is why get rims that are wide (8" in your case) and only put a 225 tire on it? I had evo rims on my vr4 with 245/40-17 tires. If the road are bad in your are good luck with those low profile tires. I would just go with some 18" rims if I were you.

vegeta1170

To run 19" wheels and not be 4 wheelin' or messing with the speedo, you would need to run like a 215/30 or 255/25 and since the first probably doesn't exsist and the second is just too wide, I would look for a 18" wheel instead.
I'm running 18" Enkei rs-7's on 225/35 rubber.

Whoodoo

The PF01's are pretty much exactly the same as the wheels I have now. The spokes are a bit thinner, but not by much, thanks for finding them for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think I am in agreement with everyone that 19 is too much. Even 18 can be too much if the car isn't done right. This wasn't a right away sort of thing, but I think it's been sufficiently concluded.

Damn, I really think they would look absolutely killer on the galant. Maybe I can get rays to cu$tom make me some 17x8 +38's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I had a set of rota slipstreams in 17x8 with +38mm offset. I believe another member on here still has them on his car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned