The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dash lights blowing fuse under hood

thomcasey

Hello all. I tried testing a different fog light switch on my galant. The wire was pretty short for the gauge dimmer, but I got the old one out and plugged the new one in. Now no matter what the 10a fuse blows when the car is running and I turn on the lights, no matter the switch installed. Although, it doesn't blow when the dimmer is unplugged. So now there are no dash lights. Is there a way to bypass the potentiometer? I pulled the gauge cluster, can't see anywhere the wires are shorted.

transparentdsm

are the tail lights out as well ? if so ive had this happen. there is a fuse under the hood thats for the tails that runs through and kills the dash lights as well. when this happened it blew out my dimmer switch.

thomcasey

yes, it blows the tails too. I replaced the fuse and left the dimmer disconnected. But, leaving it disconnected kills the dash lights.

transparentdsm

check the tail fuse in the under the hood fuse box. also try connecting the old dimmer thats blown out, turn the dial all the way down and off.

thomcasey

yea, did that already. Still blows the tail thee h set the hood

89Mirageman

Is it possible you skinned the outer coating off one of the wires while stretching it to get it unplugged? I had a similar problem on one of the summit wagons I swapped over to a manual. When installing the dash after the pedal swap I accidentally got a wire caught up behind a 10mm bolt and a metal tab on the dash. Drove me nuts and kept popping fuses until I found it. Sounds like you have something pretty similar going on.

thomcasey

I was wondering about that. I definitely do not want to pull the dash, maybe I can pull the cluster again and see if the wires can be re-routed to give more length.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned