The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cyclone intake

Muskrat

+1 FPR solenoid seems to be recommended.

This assumes you're not currently using the FPR solenoid as it was intended, not ADDING another solenoid. If you're adding another solenoid you'll need to either wire in an output from the ECU that DSMlink can control, or use a pressure or rpm switch to activate it. If you go that route ECMlink will not be used to control the valves.

fuel

Just clearing up the JDM manifold confusion - there are four manifolds for the JDM 4G63 Galants.

One is for the non-turbo E33A DOHC 4G63 engine, it says 'CYCLONE' or 'ECI-MULTI' on it, this is just a normal big port single runner manifold, I am guessing this is very similar to the manifold found on the US and Aus spec GVR-4s

Second is the standard VR-4 manifold, which says 'CYCLONE' and 'TURBO INTERCOOLER' on it, it's the normal big port dual runner manifold

Third is the Evolution VR-4 manifold, which says 'ECI-MULTI' and 'TURBO INTERCOOLER' on it, basically the same as above except different labelling, I was under the impression it was the same size as the above manifold but I guess it would make sense being bigger volume as the injectors, turbo and intercooler are larger on the Evolution VR-4 over the standard VR-4.

Last is the non-turbo AMG E33A DOHC manifold, it says 'ECI-MULTI' and rather than being a dual split runner manifold it's actually a dual length runner manifold, it too has butterflies inside the manifold but the butterflies switch between short and long runners rather than half or full capacity runners.

I've been interested in how the AMG manifold will perform on the VR-4, and if the switchover point for the runners is the same approx 4k rpm as the VR-4 cyclone. I have a feeling it actually uses a stepper motor to actuate the runners like the later 92 onwards V6 Mitsu engines use.

evo8ya

Quoting Muskrat:
+1 FPR solenoid seems to be recommended.

This assumes you're not currently using the FPR solenoid as it was intended, not ADDING another solenoid. If you're adding another solenoid you'll need to either wire in an output from the ECU that DSMlink can control, or use a pressure or rpm switch to activate it. If you go that route ECMlink will not be used to control the valves.

Cool so seems like the FPR solenoid is the way to go, Thanks Keydiver. I haven't disconnected the FPR solenoid, so I guess it's still hooked up. However, it's "gray" when I bring it up in link. Does this mean it's not in use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts