The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cut oil squirter holes?

tektic

Has anyone done this to an n/t block?
If you know a place that can do it properly in ny please let me know.

I have a wide block g63b I want to bring up to turbo spec.

prove_it

I only forsee a lot of discussion on why not to do this. cause org...

tektic

I want to do a stock rebuild to turbo spec. That would include oil squirters (period)

89Mirageman

Are you willing to pay shipping both ways to have this done? If not I would make sure they're local.

fuel

I honestly wouldn't bother - it's not an absolute necessity and builders often remove them to improve oil pressure and remove a point of failure. The rods have an oil squirter hole in them as well.

diambo4life

Yup. Ask this guy whose oil squirtter backed out and ended up spinning 2 rod bearings and destroying some $$$ rods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

tektic

Quoting fuel:
The rods have an oil squirter hole in them as well.

Stock rods have oil squirter holes in them?

thomcasey

The stockers do. I know my Eagle rods do not, but they are on floating pins also, so they are oiled from the squirters. If you look at the stock rods, you can see the oil galley

belize1334

^^ Disagree. The stock rods have pressed-in wrist pins. An oiling hole would be completely pointless. Some aftermarket rods feature an internal oiling hole for the floating pin but most do not. Typically the oiling of the wrist pin is achieved through scavenging of oil from the cylinder wall, which then collects in the piston skirt and oils the wrist pin progressively from the piston to the rod. Many engines do not use oil-squirters and still run partial of fully floating wrist-pins. The oil squirters job as a lubricating aid is secondary to it's function in cooling the pistons, hence the use of oil squirters in turbo applications. The choice to use or not use oil-squirters isn't about lubricating the pistons, it's about a compromise between oil pressure, cost-to-install, and piston dome heat (which isn't really a problem for low-to-mid power levels with forged internals).

thomcasey

If that is the case, they why the holes from the rod bearing to the wrist pin (with matching holes in the Rod bearings themselves). I would be interested to know the purpose of them.

tektic

Stock rods definitely have holes that go to the wrist pins. My eagles do not. I never noticed cylinder wall squirt ports on the stockers though. Not that I ever looked.

tektic

Open foot insert mouth. I never actually had a stock rod in my hand only eagle rods. Thank you for clearing that up.

Fish

I didn't know it had any oil ports in it. I just happen to have a set from my core engine out in the shop right now.

r4pt0x

These ports only deliver the oil needed at the piston pin for lubrication. The oil squirters deliver a constant oil stream for piston cooling, which is definitely needed for turbo applications and is even present on most 4G63 & 4G67 N/A DOHCs for a reason. Remove them and you will have massive knock problems, especially when using very low octane fuel as you have to in the US. Piston failure is also very likely as the pistons run much higher temperature, especially if EGR is also disabled.

When doing a proper engine rebuild, the regulator valve bolts and the squirters themselves should be replaced but never removed. I always secured the bolts with some loctite on all engines I've rebuild and never had them come loose, even on engines that generate and/or have to take a lot of vibration (rallye). The few clogged up squirters/valves i've seen were always caused by bad and/or old oil.

prove_it

True to most of that. You can run without squirters without knock issues. Anyone running the 2.4 block will tell you that, or the misc blocks that are sans squirters.

Not a requirement as thousands run without them, but they do help with piston crown cooling quite a bit.

EMX5636

I've had an NT block in my car since I broke the last 2.3 and went back to a 2.0. No issues with aftermarket pistons.

donniekak

Quoting r4pt0x:
These ports only deliver the oil needed at the piston pin for lubrication. The oil squirters deliver a constant oil stream for piston cooling, which is definitely needed for turbo applications and is even present on most 4G63 & 4G67 N/A DOHCs for a reason. Remove them and you will have massive knock problems, especially when using very low octane fuel as you have to in the US. Piston failure is also very likely as the pistons run much higher temperature, especially if EGR is also disabled.

When doing a proper engine rebuild, the regulator valve bolts and the squirters themselves should be replaced but never removed. I always secured the bolts with some loctite on all engines I've rebuild and never had them come loose, even on engines that generate and/or have to take a lot of vibration (rallye). The few clogged up squirters/valves i've seen were always caused by bad and/or old oil.

I'm running a non turbo block with no squirters at 40psi, no knock issues on e85. The same setup had no issues running 480whp at 25psi on pump gas.

89Mirageman

Quoting prove_it:
I only forsee a lot of discussion on why not to do this. cause org...

What #'s should I play today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts