The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Curtting springs.

91Vr4white

Is anyone running cut springs on the rear of their galant? Has anyone done this? Not looking for speculation only actual experiences.

I'm looking to cut about a coil off to make the car sit level. I've searched and can't find hardly any info on this. I've seen a few guys talk about cutting aftermarket springs but not stock.

For those that have. How much did you cut off an how much did ride quality suffer?

Cutting springs is by far the worst thing you could do , it has a massive effect on ride quality, spring rate , reduce the overall effectiveness of your suspension and not to mention its so easy to mess up
I have bought a car on time with cut springs , it was horrible experience and so I bought coil overs asap. I suggest the same to you

91Vr4white

I've cut springs on so many cars I cannot keep track. An you are right... To a point. But if its done mildly there is very minimal noticable difference.

I'm not talking about slamming the car but only leveling out the rear. I know one of you have done this.

blacksheep

On progressive springs, you can cut some of the dead coils off - I know for the gvr4 - you can cut the H&R springs by 1 coil max and lose no peformance or ride quality.

raptorWagon

Quoting 91Vr4white:
Is anyone running cut springs on the rear of their galant? Has anyone done this? Not looking for speculation only actual experiences.

I'm looking to cut about a coil off to make the car sit level. I've searched and can't find hardly any info on this. I've seen a few guys talk about cutting aftermarket springs but not stock.

For those that have. How much did you cut off an how much did ride quality suffer?

All of us that have or are running modified Evo 8/9 suspension, had to cut coils unless they run aftermarket Evo lowering springs.

As mentioned, there is a right way and wrong way to cutting springs.

91Vr4white

So no one had done this on stock suspension? Not even tried it? I just want to get rid of the rake.

I'm on a budget. I just got the car and it needs struts bad. So I was hoping I could so this while I was changing struts for cheep. I've looked bad can't find any used sprigs and from what I've read it seems even with lowering springs the car will still sit higher in the rear then in front. The car is not an auto cross car and I can live with a little bit of a rough ride, I just want to find someone who has done this or tried it. With good or bad results just looking for real world info.

As I said before I'm talking about maybe a coil not cutting the sh*t out of the spring.

Someone please give me a good cheap way to level this car out. Thanks

prove_it

buy some evo rear springs. They will lower the ride. Also way stiffer, makes it tail happy.

mikus

You might hear 1, maybe 2 real-experience opinions on cutting stockers if any at all.

Go for it, you sound like you know what to do and what to expect. It's free, easy, and if you mess them up I'm sure someone here has some stockers sitting on a shelf anwyay.

Barnes

I have 1g TEL springs on AGX's. I cut the front springs a coil or so to even things out. Feels fine to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif (Well, as fine as it can ride on AGXs that is.)

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Same as Barnes, but GR2s. I cut the front springs and ground the ends. They work great (but they are a higher spring rate than stock springs, so the cutting effect would actually be slightly greater).

CutlassJim

Quoting prove_it:
buy some evo rear springs. They will lower the ride. Also way stiffer, makes it tail happy.

I have a set of stock Evo 9 springs taking up space in my basement if you want them cheap. I've also cut springs and not had any adverse effects. They don't make lowering springs for an Expo so I cut my stockers 1/4 coil at a time until it sat level with the lowered front. The key is to use a blade and not a cut-off wheel. Heat kills spring steel. It will also raise the spring rate of the spring.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts