The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crank Pulley Stuck

I'm in the process of a complete rebuild. Right as i go to do the balance shaft elimination i find that the bolt on the crank pulley will not break loose. I've soaked it with pb blaster and hit it with my impact... Nothing. Am i missing something? is it reverse threaded? Any suggestions?

AWDPower

When they are real stuck like that, you need to do it the old fashioned way with a big cheater bar. I use a good 22mm socket, a good 24 inch long 1/2" extension, and a good 1/2" breaker bar. Support the extension with a jack or jack stand, and slip a 4 foot plus pipe over the handle of the breaker bar. Use your favorite method of holding the crank still. I put the tranny in fifth gear and have someone step on the brake. Use good quality tools or you will just break them. I used this method when even a high-end, 800+ ft lb. impact didn't work.

Vr4junkie

You know what it might be a reverse thread don't remember but I got my crank out in the garage I could go check .

ercp98

what worked for me was heating that bolt for a long time with an acetylene torch, then right away hitting it
with an impact wrench.

mine had red thread locker on it.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Another method I use is tighten it to break lose the threads sounds stupid but trust me it's worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately my motor is out of the car and id rather not have to make the tool to hold the crank still so i think i will try torching it first then give it another try. And its not reverse threaded correct?

SmoothCustomer

No, not reverse threaded. I'm assuming it's on a stand. You can thread in some flywheel bolts and stick a bar in there to hold the crank still.

yeti

i had a friend hold the flywheel with a breaker bar and socket on one of the bolts, if you can i think i stuck a screw driver threw the flywheel...

SouthCaliVR4

Find a bit of flat stock. drill two holes so you can bolt it down in a pair of head bolt locations. now place a large dia socket on the head of the piston so the bar stock will catch & stop the piston. This is known as a piston stop. you can break it loose & not harm the piston, rod or bearings.

turbowop

Put a breaker bar on it and rest it on the front suspension arm. Then tap the starter a couple of times.

*edit* I guess if it's out of the car that method won't work.

Last edited:

desant78

I put a solid bar in the crank in a way using two crank pulley bolts that it is putting pressure on the engine stand mount so it cant turn and get a large breaker bar and treat it a lesson.

yeti

Quoting turbowop:
Put a breaker bar on it and rest it on the front suspension arm. Then tap the starter a couple of times.

*edit* I guess if it's out of the car that method won't work.

This was my plan, but the battery was dead so i just pulled motor and had friend hold flywheel bolt

mitsuturbo

Pull the oil pan if it's out of the car. Stick a handle in between the crank counterweights and the block. Twist away.

Don't go and do something stupid like only have pressure on ONE of the counterweights, though. Be sure and try to distribute the load across four of them.

Putting a screwdriver thru the flywheel usually buggers up the rear mainseal housing. Be careful about doing what Yeti suggested.

mitsuturbo

Quoting desant78:
I put a solid bar in the crank in a way using two crank pulley bolts that it is putting pressure on the engine stand mount so it cant turn and get a large breaker bar and treat it a lesson.

This is also a good method. It's best to use longer bolts and make sure they're threaded pretty deep, so you dont screw up the threads in the ass end of the crankshaft.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts