The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crank pulley rubbing on timing cover

AuSpecVr4

Hey

I have bought a new timing cover when i built my 2.4l (Balance shaft eliminated) and i have some serious rub marks in my new timing cover which has almost made me consider buying a new one. I found this on JNZ tuning. Crankshaft sprocket spacer I still have my balance shaft belt on and rotating but theres no shaft. Do i need this spacer to space out my pulley?

broxma

No you shouldn't need that, just leave the old balance shaft sprocket on there. If the crank pulley is rubbing on the timing cover, it's not seated all the way down, or the highly unlikely, the pulley is bent, but I've never seen or heard of that. Often times I find people have put incorrect length bolts into the timing cover. This means the bolts tighten down, or bottom out essentially, but the cover still has some free play in it off the block, so it hits the pulley. It's hard to notice when you put it back together.

/brox

AuSpecVr4

It's strange, i have checked the timing cover and its bolts and theres no movement, i separated my old crank pulley (Luckily in the driveway starting) it could of been the outer moving back and forth on the old cover because when i pulled the old one off it basically could fall straight through the middle, i now have a light weight aluminum crank pulley on it and i checked the back of it and the paint hasnt been touched so i guess i learned that if your building a fresh motor and new timing cover, replace your dampner.

mikus

^ I'd agree with your assumption there. when they seperate, they'll 'etch' the cover and eventually can cut through it.

galant344

good thing you caught it before the outer ring ate all the way through to the timing belt. cheaper to replace the lower cover and damper than pulling the head and replacing the valves!

AuSpecVr4

Yes all true i've seen some damage pictures here, now im up for a new timing cover because it has almost worn through, but first priority is get the motor and box back in the car so i can get the thing running again.

Cheers

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned