The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

crank pulley came loose

Well driving home and going about 45 and my serpatine belt pops off. Car dies I wtf pop start and grinding type noise and pop hood and the crank pulley loose and crank bolt falls off and timing pulley is loose too. Has anyone had this happen and what would cause this will rip into tomorrow noon ideas welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

prove_it

Must have been loose to start with. It's not normal.

4Grim

Either the bolts that hold the pulley in were loose in the 1st place or the rubber insulator between the pulley base and the actually pulley track seperated.

fivestardsm

All I can say is do not start it back up until you get the bolt put back in and fixed completely. I see you said you pop started it after it happened, your lucky that that right there didnt throw the timing belt off brcause your pulley was loose.

I have seen a few people have the same issues. It is usually because they were not sure how to torque the crank boolt on and just figured it was tight enough.

Last edited:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifand heres what it look like i just have crank bolt on to hold it into place crazy thing is its all in timing still
img.php

Terry Posten

Please do not use foul language or other offensive terms in post titles.

Thank you.

By the way Terry, I noticed that even though he changed the title to his thread, the original still shows up on the Main Index. Im sure the MODS know this, im just curious as to why.

464/2K

Take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. Obviously the person who is working on the car is ripping you off leaving critical things loose.

DailyDSM

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Loc-tite is a wonderful product.

So are proper torque specs.

gvr4ever

Get this or something like it. click

Or just make one if you have some spare steel laying around. Just don't make it out of hardened steel. Right Dave?

1990ggsxnj

And make sure the timing belt isn't reused if there are markings on the underside. That's just asking for more trouble. Personally I would just go with another one even if there aren't any other markings but that's just me. I would tripple check the timing as well. That "grinding" noise that was not elaborated on could have been piston to valve contact unless it was definitely on the outside of the engine.

Last edited:

well 11 bent valves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif and rebuild soon decided to go through jonvr4 to have this repaired thanks for all the heads up guys and, sucks for me only had her running for 2 days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Diego

i know this feeling... not the crank part but... only 2day running.... Heck i have only put 30.8 miles on 1309 THIS year... for a total of 4360 miles in 4 years.... HAHA i love my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Brianawd

sh*t happens. I had the same thing happen to me just this year. I know I used red loc tite and torqued it to 100ft\lbs. But some how my brand new water pump started leaking and the water made it into the treads of the crank bolt. Don't know how but it did. When I got every thing apart there was water in the end of the crank where to bolt is and the red loc tite was a red sloppy mess. I got lucky and only bent 2 valves on #1

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned