The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

coolant not circulating?

I replaced my t-stat (with a 180) and lost plenty of coolant. Topped it off and fired it up, but it doesn't go down. My engine starts to surge and coolant rises and falls out of the housing. (still haven't figured that out, I think it needs tuned, but it's been on jack stands for a while now). When I squeeze the hoses it also spills out of the housing. I shut off the car and I can hear coolant falling down (as in flowing through the engine). But my upper and lower hoses feel empty. My temp needle stops under halfway.

Is my water pump shot? I've replaced plenty, but only as preventative maintenance, I don't personally know the symptoms of a failed one.

I also have this:

I imagine something should be plugged into it?

I did plug the wires back into the housing btw.

jmorri15

well even with no wires plugged in the coolant should circulate because the whole system (other then the fans and gauges of course) is not dependent upon electronics to function. So what you are saying is you think the block is empty of coolant? even if the t-stat wont open it should fill up just based on the bottom hose as you fill the radiator. Now are you using a dsm or vr4 radiator and housing?

I'm assuming DSM. The car has been through a few power trains. I'm doing a lot of clean up...

ktmrider

Quoting 1971:
Any idea what the one my finger on is for?

Your fingers appear to be on the large hose?!? Otherwise can't tell, take another with a screwdriver or the like...

maroonmetallic

Looks like you are pointing to the fitting where 2 vacuum lines attach on the standard vacuum routing for these cars.
Its on the lower part of the thermostat housing.

If vacuum line removal was done properly, you should have to worry about the plasticc end being broken off.

-Shawn

I'm pointing at the part on the housing next to the overflow hose, at least I think that's where I should have piped my overflow tank?

SmoothCustomer

You are pointing at the temperature sensor. That's a DSM thermostat housing, and if you are using a Galant radiator you would have 2 radiator caps, and two overflow outlets so hopefully that's not the case. If it's not the case, it would be my guess that you have some sort of blockage in your cooling system.

I took off the hoses and didn't notice any blockage. Hooked up my palm with mmcd and the engine got up to 95 celcius. My buddy doing the "conversion" told me it was 225. I shut it off, and found out later it was only 203. My upper hose got hot, but my lower didn't. I'm thinking if I had a cooling issue it would have gotten hotter and much faster. The previous owner told me he replaced the water pump, and it looks new.

Barnes

In my opinion the likelihood of your coolant not flowing due to a bad water pump is very unlikely. If you upper hose is hot, and the lower hose is cold and your palm logger shows a consistent coolant temp, everything is working fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned