The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Converting all wheel drive to front.

JackbNimble

Just a quick question, if I were to not use a transfer case and cover up where the transfer case bolts up to the tranny and block off the rear diff, would that cause any problems? It seems to me like it would just be like driving like a FWD. The rear diff would just be free spinning, same as the transfer case shaft.

Does anybody know if there are any problems with doing this? Thanks.

jmorri15

as long as the t-case isnt hooked up it would work as far as i know. but why would you wanna do it. thats taking away a big part of our cars awesomeness

JackbNimble

Well, it's not a VR4, it's a GGSX. The problem is that my GGSX is my only form of transportation and I went to replace the transmission with one I bought off a member here. He claimed it would be a direct bolt up, but when it got rebuilt, they turned it into a 23 spline instead of 22 and he didn't inform me of this when he sold it to me. So I go to bolt up my transfer case and it wont fit. I was thinking about just running it in FWD until I get some extra cash and then swapping it back to AWD.

TylerAdamson

You would need a viscous coupler eliminater which is about $100 +/- or you could just get the proper tcase for $75+/-

jmorri15

ah. blower. yeah as far as i know the fronts are strong enough to handle being fwd. since the car started its life fwd and mits added the awd to it. its when you convert it from awd to rwd that you run into problems because the component arent up to the increased strain.

JackbNimble

Quoting TylerAdamson:
You would need a viscous coupler eliminater which is about $100 +/- or you could just get the proper tcase for $75+/-

Well, if I were to switch to a 23 spline transfer case, then I would also need to get a new rear diff, because the gears are different, correct?

Muskrat

No.

The transfer case isn't even a transfer case. It's just a 90* coupler.

It's essentially a 1:1 gear ratio.

Final drive is based on front and rear dif, not the t-case.

Last edited:

tsiboy

that will work if your goal is to destroy your center differential. you need a welded center diff, 4 spider diff, spool or switchable transmission and tcase if you want to run fwd on a awd trans. you cannot just disconnect the rear diff.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

If you leave your Tcase off and drive your car, you will destroy your trans-again. As stated before, get the right T-Case, or swap out the coupler in the tcase with the correct one.

JackbNimble

Okay then, another question. If I get the 23 spline t-case, is there any issue in hooking up my driveshaft from my 22 spline setup or would I have to get a new driveshaft also?

EDIT: Let me give you a little more detail on the situation. This car is a '90 Galant GSX. The transmission I bought was a rebuilt W5M31, which is the same that was in the '90 Galant GSX. When I went to put the transfer case on, I found the shaft was a 23 spline, instead of the normal 22 spline. Both my old transmission and my old transfer case were 22 spline. Basically what I am asking is if I were to just buy a 23 spline transfer case at this point, would I have any issues just bolting it up and driving?

Last edited:

JackbNimble

Are you 100% positive on this after I re-edited my post with the specifics?

brisvr4

Do you still have you broken trans? If so, just pull the output shaft from it and swap it out with the one from the new trans.
Problem solved. Hopefully it's that easy for you.

Muskrat

Quoting JackbNimble:
Are you 100% positive on this after I re-edited my post with the specifics?

Yes.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JackbNimble

I have another question now. I am not sure now if the transmission that was sold to me had the gears changed when it was rebuilt. If the gear ratios are different in the transmission, could that not damage the rear diff, since the transfer case has a 1:1 ratio?

belize1334

Another idiotic (but also kind-of awesome) idea would be to ditch the viscous coupler for an open diff and then build a block-plate to bolt to the transmission which would replace the t-case and fix the output shaft in place. That'd force the center diff to always run at 2x speed and essentially double your gear ratio. 1st would top out at about 64mph etc etc. This would give a theoretical top speed of 300+ mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, don't do this... it's dumb.

Quoting brisvr4:
Do you still have you broken trans? If so, just pull the output shaft from it and swap it out with the one from the new trans.
Problem solved. Hopefully it's that easy for you.

This is by far the easiest method. It took me almost no time at all to just pull the output shaft out of my old tranny and put it in the new one. Granted, this was on a 90 talon tsi, but it should be the exact same.

JackbNimble

How do you go about doing this? Is it possible to do it with the transmission on the vehicle? I already have it bolted up and really don't feel like taking it off again.

belize1334

Yes, you can swap the output shaft without pulling the transmission. You remove the front cover (sits right behind the passenger side inner fender liner). Then you remove the snap ring on the viscous coupler and pull it out. Keep track of the little ball-bearing cause you'll need it. With that out the output shaft will slide free toward the drivers side. Reassemble with the other output shaft and you're all set for 22-spline or 23-spline or whatever it is you're trying to go for.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned