The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Conquest / Starion intercooler installed (with pics )

icurunnin

Well I had a buddy give me his stock 89 starquest intercooler so I decided to take the spare stock cooler and make it happen. I had them cut the stock outlets off about 1.5" from the tank on the starquest. then had them cut the inlet and outlet off the stock intercooler to weld in place on the starquest.
I was able to use all the stock piping and just needed to cut the bumper support and make brackets. After all was said and done I had about $100 into the whole thing which was mostly welding ($75). Here are some pics and let me know what you guys think. and yes I did a boost leak test after which came out good. Hope this helps someone looking for a cheap alternative to the JDM unit and the ETS (well worth the $$$) unit.
I still need to tweak it a little to be straight and no thats not me in the pics.
DSC02986.jpg

DSC03019.jpg

DSC03022.jpg

DSC03020.jpg

DSC03025.jpg

DSC03024.jpg

DSC03023.jpg

0131091232.jpg

Last edited:

icurunnin

I really didnt have a choice on the bumper cut out. I bought the bumper already cut out. I am sure I can come up with something to make it look better.

fivestardsm

Sweet!! You just made up my mind... I have one of these hanging on the wall and was wondering if I wanted to use it. I think the answer is yes, yes I do.

381gvr4

Me likes alot!!!! Damn you on the tee-shirt thou, we're freeezzing over here!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

curtis

On the intercooler you can carry back to your tig guy and have him well a piece of 2 x 2 angle next to the core then You can bend some sheetmetal into a big flat 90 and attach to the angle and then use some little tabs or something on the bumper cover this will also help on cooling.....

FYI the rear view mirrors from the starquests work in the Galant and there black plastic instead of the gray. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

icurunnin

This is only temporary. I am going to be selling it soon to go with a ETS kit when I get the funds. Just dropped $500 on a 3" turbo back from Garfield so I figure this is better than nothing. If anyone is interested in the setup with brackets, hoses, and intercooler send me a pm.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

That's a good idea, Curtis. Fill up the empty space in the bumper by making a duct that directs airflow into the core!

curtis

If you or anyone else does it make sure its not a long angle from the sides to the IC but squared off directing straight in. Angles hurt for airflow.

teamhightower

I also used this intercooler on my first Galant. When I had the pipes cut and rewelded I also had a bracket added bottom and top to span the old intercooler holds and to bolt into the hood support above. This was very stable and located the cooler pretty well. Also using the long metal low pressure pipe that came with it let me use the stock soft plumbing.

Pic of intercooler

I autocrossed this car on 17lbs boost/14b and could only run about 30 seconds before heat saturation was pulling down timing. But for DD this was plenty.

steve

Yeah that IC unfortunately isn't a big step up from the stock interwarmer. Nice job on the install though. I know, I read, this is just a temp upgrade til you get the ETS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

icurunnin

I am buying the ets kit from Jesse W tomorrow so it didnt stay on long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned