The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch

broncfan56

I am having a problem somewhere between the clutch pedal and the slave cylinder I believe, I am looking to confirm that.

So I took off from a light pushed the pedal, came out of first with a slight struggle and then would not go into any gear. The car will starts fine in neutral, push the pedal and cannot go into any gear, fifth grinds. Shut the car off and I can go through all the gears fine. Put it in first and try to start it and the car lurches forward as if the clutch pedal was out.

My thought is the clutch is fine, just not disengaging, what do you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Loren

Racah15

Look underneath in the steering column area where the clutch master is. If you see your carpet is wet, then your clutch master went. Needs a rebuild or a new one. Before you do that, check how much brake fluid you have in the Clutch master reservoir. If it's full, then you might have another issue.

Edit: Just saw you're from Colorado springs! If you need help let me know.
Except today. Too cold with this snow. Haha

Last edited:

broncfan56

The car is parked at work for the night, but Ill take a peek under there in the morning. I did check the reservoir first thing, and it was full, I pumped it a bunch, and still full. Thanks much for the help

Loren

galant651

if your not leaking any fluid then it has to be the clutch fork or the throwout bearing.
img.php

this is what the clutch fork looks like.

transparentdsm

how old are your master and slave cylinders? also check the nut on the rod on the clutch pedal, if it loosened up and backed off the rod the lever could have rounded out and you'll have your problem.

here is a link:
click
and this:
click

broncfan56

Quoting Racah15:
Look underneath in the steering column area where the clutch master is. If you see your carpet is wet, then your clutch master went. Needs a rebuild or a new one. Before you do that, check how much brake fluid you have in the Clutch master reservoir. If it's full, then you might have another issue.

Edit: Just saw you're from Colorado springs! If you need help let me know.
Except today. Too cold with this snow. Haha

Thanks for the offer man, I will let you know when I start taking things apart.

Today I took a look as best I could in the parking lot at work. Clutch fork has no play and seems to be functioning properly. The pedal assembly on the car has already been fixed, thank god, that looked like a pain in the ass to do. Looking for fluid inside under the pedals I found that although there wasn't a massive amount of fluid, there was fluid where the master cylinder hooks to the pedal assembly, not much but it was there which tells me to start with replacing the master cylinder (and the slave while I'm at it as I don't know the age of either) before I pull the transmission. Am I right in thinking this?

galant651

yeah. do the easier things first obviously but your master cylinder doesnt affect your clutch in any way.

EMX5636

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the Clutch Master Cylinder, not the brake master cylinder. So it could have everything to do with the clutch...

Racah15

Yeah replace that clutch master cylinder (even if it's not bad, it's always best to do it anyways because EVENTUALLY it will be bad, and if you get a brand new oem unit, that's one less headache down the road), then see how it works. You may have an internal leak also. There's internal leaks and external leaks on CMC's, so you may have both. But give it a try, and if it still doesn't work, then try the slave.

Racah15

Hey that didn't happen to be you I saw today? I met up at a light with someone near old colorado city at a light. BG 92. I was in a white 91.

broncfan56

Alright, bought an OEM CMC, had a NIB OEM slave cylinder. Installed both a couple hours ago, bled the system, and no change whatsoever. the hydraulic system is working, so next step pull the transmission (tomorrow maybe...) and check the TOB and fork. Can anyone tell me how I will know if my pressure plate is the problem? I've replaced many slipping clutches but never had to troubleshoot before. Again, thanks in advance.

Loren

galant651

i wouldnt think its the pressure plate or the friction on the clutch since you said it lunges when you try to start it. but yeah, the next thing to do is pull the tranny and see what is going on inside the bellhousing.

G

Staff member

Racah15

My car only did that (Lunge forward) when the CMC was bad, or when the flywheel wasn't stepped properly.
My buddy had the same thing happen to him when his clutch's springs popped out. But there was a loud noise involved. Didn't just happen out of the blue.
Either way, if you take the trans off, check the clutch.

EMX5636

With the hydraulics bled, take a look at the clutch fork sticking through the trans. At rest, it should be middle of the "window" or slightly towards the slave side to get adequate throw. You can pull the little rubber boot out to get a better idea of where it's sitting. If it's way to the left when looking straight at it, then you could have a bad TOB/Pressure plate, bent clutch fork, or worn pivot ball.

broncfan56

Alright so the clutch disc fused to the flywheel... have everything apart and will be putting it back together tomorrow. Question is will a ACT disc work with a SBC pressure plate? Or does anyone have a clutch that they would be willing to sell tonight in the Colorado Springs area as I have to have it back together tomorrow? That would be even better.

Loren

broncfan56

I cant tell you, I baby the car all the time (meaning I drive like an old man), rarely drive it hard, maybe once every couple months. There was a perfect circle in the middle of the discs friction surface that stuck the flywheel, I had to beat it off with a hammer and a piece of wood.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts