The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch - SB Endurance Stg 3 vs Clutch Masters FX300 or Fx350

Dan D

My Centerforce finally gave up. Love the clutch. It's always been the weak point though. It could never hold what the car wants to give so I've always dialed it back to the limit of what it would tolerate.
Car makes 400 ft lbs on 93 could probably be 450+ on E85 but the one time I tried, the clutch cried for a week.

I'm so far from the galant's days as a daily it makes no sense to hold it back for the sake of a nice to use clutch. I don't drag race so a puck is out. I'm focusing mostly on the clutches in the title as 450ft-lb capable clutches with a street, road race type nature.

Has anyone used either the SB or Clutchmasters? Good choice, bad choice?
Can you get 10k or so miles out of either near their limit (assuming you don't do stutter box dumps often)?

mooserage

Staff member
Has anyone used either the SB or Clutchmasters? Good choice, bad choice?
I don't make that much power and can't speak to other brands, but the SB clutch I have are awesome. I went with the SS pressure plate (2200lbs.) and the TZ-B, both held really well. I've mostly seen praise for their stuff and would definitely buy them again. Hopefully others with more miles or power can chime in.

Imback

I've used so many combinations between my cars throughout the years. I love southbends disks and are the only disk i use for the past 10+ years. I pair the disk with a act 2600 PP. There full kevlar disk is by far my favorite and took a lot of abuse and hot lapping. A simple cool down and it's good as new. I was low 500's on that disk and it only gave when i switched to a T4 turbo. My 2nd favorite disk is there dual friction disk. This was in my last galant and it held low 600 all day. I've only installed one clutchmaster clutch on a locals car and it felt okay. He wasn't making any real power so i can't give to much input on it. If the car is something to have fun with on weekends and you don't mind a little rattle the comp twin disks are nice as well as the 8 leg quarter master.

Dan D

Thanks for the input guys. I'll go with a SB Kevlar. Seems like it has few complaints from here or other DSM'ers.

Can't figure out what's wrong with my CF though :LOL:
20221005_055336.jpg

In all fairness, it was the victim of a failed slave cylinder, cold day, and 24 lbs of boost, and a driver that said "shift anyway". It disagreed.

gvr4ever

My Center force failed the exact same way. I ended up going with a Exedy puck clutch and a ACT lightweight flywheel. Super light pedal feel, with gobs of space off the floor. Downside is, she's a Chatty Cathy. Need to change driving styles a bit. Either keep revs higher, or coast in neutral more. Low RPM in gear, off the gas is no fun.

slugsgomoo

I replaced a roasted CFDF in my talon with a sprung six puck (FX-400) and the pedal was lighter than an ACT 2600 and a really nice engagement IMO. It was easy enough to drive that my wife & mom both drove the car and had no complaints (the manual steering was a gripe by my mom in all fairness). I never raced the car with it in, but did beat on it reasonably for >25k miles and never had an issue.

That said, my car has a brand new southbend sitting on the shelf if I ever get tired of driving the twin on the street

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts