The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch options

Boos929

Wondering what's the best clutch for the money/performance cars mostly stock now but planning on running no more then 350hp

DynastyLCD

i would personally opt for a lightened flywheel, old school ACT 2100, and a 6 puck unsprung disc. i loved that setup, and i made 400 AWHP on it. very grabby and can be tough to drive on the street, but the pedal feel was very forgiving.

i've heard about a few locals really liking the clutchnet disc's, but i have no firsthand experience. the 2600/street disc would also hold that power, however the pedal feel is heavier for sure. again, i don't mind this, but some people feel this is a huge PITA. in my opinion, i would rather run an unsprung puck clutch and a lighter pressure plate, as opposed to a heavier pressure plate and a full faced street disc.

the lateral influence which is proven to increase thrust bearing wear from a heavier pressure plate is something i really don't like. i've seen 6 bolts walk with 2600 setups before, its not exactly a road i would want to go down. i owned a 7 bolt 2g, i don't plan to go back to crankwalk town again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

AWDPower

I've always had good luck with the Centerforce DF clutches. They have a very light stock like pedal feel (much lighter then my stock Miata), yet can hold quite a lot of power. They also last a long time, and are easier on the drivetrain then other performance clutches. The downside is that the light pedal is due to increased pedal travel. You need to make sure everything in the clutch system is in good shape and adjusted correctly, because there in not much wiggle room with the long clutch throw. The good thing is that it's easier on the clutch system components.

belize1334

I have recently switch to Action Clutch. It's a small company in California that builds disks in house. They'll actually have a conversation with you about your needs and then custom assemble the setup for you. And they're prices are awesome. So far I'm very pleased with the result.

mitsuturbo

Quoting DynastyLCD:
i would personally opt for a lightened flywheel, old school ACT 2100, and a 6 puck unsprung disc. i loved that setup, and i made 400 AWHP on it. very grabby and can be tough to drive on the street, but the pedal feel was very forgiving.

i've heard about a few locals really liking the clutchnet disc's, but i have no firsthand experience. the 2600/street disc would also hold that power, however the pedal feel is heavier for sure. again, i don't mind this, but some people feel this is a huge PITA. in my opinion, i would rather run an unsprung puck clutch and a lighter pressure plate, as opposed to a heavier pressure plate and a full faced street disc.

the lateral influence which is proven to increase thrust bearing wear from a heavier pressure plate is something i really don't like. i've seen 6 bolts walk with 2600 setups before, its not exactly a road i would want to go down. i owned a 7 bolt 2g, i don't plan to go back to crankwalk town again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Look at an old ACT2100 pressure plate.. oddly, it's got spots ground off the diaphragm that match exactly where stock mitsu numbers are stamped. It's questionable as to whether or not it's just a stock pressure plate, rebadged as ACT.

Many, many people have run 2600's and had no ill effects. While not as many, a lot of other people have run them and wound up with issues.

I disagree with running a "lightened" flywheel, but i do believe a lightweight flywheel is a good idea. Fidanzas are kind of shitty, but the ACT flywheel seems to be a good solution.

Unsprung discs are harder on drivetrain parts, but i do like them a lot better. Years ago, I ran a stock PP and 6 puck unsprung for a while. I liked it pretty well and it held well enough to launch a full weight car with around 270hp to 1.7 60's over and over again. I'd had a problem with sprung discs pitching springs. I'll never run a sprung disc again. The downside is that my splines on the discs stripped out. The splines wore out before the clutch did. The springs in the disc do absorb a lot of shock and vibration, especially on accel/decel. I've seen transfer case input splines strip out after running a solid hub clutch for a while as well.

gvr4ever

I'm running a Centerforce and I love it. I had an ACT 2600. It did cause problems with the clutch hydrolic system (when my car was MUCH younger) and after rebuilding everything, snapping the clutch fork, I still didn't like it. It was a heavy slug that had a horrible release. I would only recommend the ACT if you plan on drag racing.

The Centerforce is much easier to live with, drives really close to stock. It's smooth, and it can hold power, unless you do repeated launches with it. I don't drag race, but I've done a few spirited launches. I've never smelt hot clutch, had it slip. Still grabs down low. In cooler (non hot summer weather), I probably make somewhere close to 350 crank HP. It holds my setup.

yeti

Running act 2600 unsprung 6 puck,
pedal feel is quite hard but the clutch bites hard and have yet to made it slip.
with same clutch

Havent had any drivetrain issues for about a year with same clutch

DynastyLCD

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting DynastyLCD:

Look at an old ACT2100 pressure plate.. oddly, it's got spots ground off the diaphragm that match exactly where stock mitsu numbers are stamped. It's questionable as to whether or not it's just a stock pressure plate, rebadged as ACT.

Many, many people have run 2600's and had no ill effects. While not as many, a lot of other people have run them and wound up with issues.

I disagree with running a "lightened" flywheel, but i do believe a lightweight flywheel is a good idea. Fidanzas are kind of shitty, but the ACT flywheel seems to be a good solution.

Unsprung discs are harder on drivetrain parts, but i do like them a lot better. Years ago, I ran a stock PP and 6 puck unsprung for a while. I liked it pretty well and it held well enough to launch a full weight car with around 270hp to 1.7 60's over and over again. I'd had a problem with sprung discs pitching springs. I'll never run a sprung disc again. The downside is that my splines on the discs stripped out. The splines wore out before the clutch did. The springs in the disc do absorb a lot of shock and vibration, especially on accel/decel. I've seen transfer case input splines strip out after running a solid hub clutch for a while as well.

i didn't mean lightened stock flywheel, i used a fidanza, and recently an ACT. no problems with either or, the fidanza saw about 35k of use too, at 400 awhp, with the 2100/6 puck unsprung.

no first hand experience using a lightened stock flywheel, it just seems like a bad idea considering everything available on the market these days.

i never had a problem with splines on the disc until i bought my PTT. and that was more or less due to the learning curve of figuring out how to drive it, and beating the crap out of it on the street too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned