The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch issue?

jesus_ralliart

So, I finally get the car on the road. Its not tip-top but it runs and drives just fine. Here's the thing: when the clutch is pressed in, it makes a noise. When it's not, it doesn't. Also, it seems to idle surge a little but I assumed it just needed a new BISS screw. Since, when adjusted there is no surge just a higher idle set by me( was 2.5k and its now 2k). Anything below 2k the car just feels weak. So, I drove the car to a meet yesterday and a friend of mine says that it may be a tensioner(spl?) pulley and that I will be screwed in the long run. However, even though the clutch makes a noise when its pressed in, I grabs solid and holds except for fifth which pops out occasionally. With that being said, onto some other specs for the car. It's Ian Koe's old car and here are the specs on it:

click

as always, any input is appreciated and generally speaking the previous owner wasn't the smartest bunny in the forest so I dunno what he did to the car.

prove_it

Describe the noise. Grinding? Rubbing? clunking? etc.

Hertz

Staff member
Noise with clutch in could be TOB.

5th popping out, I'd check the "5th gear shifter movement" fix vfaq, otherwise could be a cable adjustment issue.

jesus_ralliart

I'd describe the noise as rubbing: metal on metal maybe. It doesn't seem to affect anything but its a noise and def not clunking.

The noise occurs when the car has the clutch pushed in, whether the car was moving or not. Soon as the clutch gets pushed in the noise starts and stays that way until the clutch is released.

fivestardsm

Check to make sure you have all the bolts in the transmission including the much over looked 12MM head bolt that goes in underneath the starter and behind the axle.

I have seen the lack of these cause the trans to walk away at the corner of the block and cause the transfercase to rub on the flywheel.

1qkfwd

Tob is throw out bearing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts