The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch cable

Gilga5

So i have a 1990 galant and the clutch cable is no good. Anyone know if there are other trims of clutch cable that can fit into this? It is a SOHC(yeah i know it sucks) no autoparts have them.

gvr4ever

I just went out of my way to search Rock auto for a 1090 SOHC Galant, cause I was in shock that it would have a clutch cable. Rockauto doesn't show the car having a clutch cable system.

Can you post pictures?

Gilga5

I could be wrong tbh havent been much under the hood. So my issue is when I was driving last night for some reason I couldn't shift gear and also my clutch pedal went down to the floor. So could be that my clutch is no good? I figure these galants would be clutch cable?

fuel

given it's been sitting around for a while, and due to age I would say it's a faulty clutch slave cylinder, or even the master cylinder.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Gilga5:
Well I cant believe I Missed that smh. It is Hydro. I will check to see if the fluid is low.

Have an accomplice safely operate the clutch (engine off/park brake working and engaged, wheels chaulked on a flat surface.

Confirm you have the slave cylinder moving the slave rod going into the bellhousing through the rubber boot.

If no movement, best to replace the slave and master with reputable parts like OEM or quality aftermarket (find NABCO in the pictures on RockAuto or at a local auto parts seller).

If the fluid is original also, god knows how old it is and would be full of moisture and that in combination with the rubber degrading in the hydraulics, you have a recipe for worn out parts.

Dot 3 fluid should be used as it lasts longer between necessary fluid changes than DOT 4, as was original spec for your car.

If you have a pop around the forum, there are some in depth versions on how to bleed the new parts once they are in place.

If you do have movement of the slave rod in the proper distance from a center located fork finger in the bellhousing opening, then we have greater issues but without more detail it is hard to say.

Galant_martin

My 1989 has a cable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you have no fuel in the Reservoir Check under the floor inside the car..

Gilga5

Yeah this car has been garaged all its life in warm temperature only has 48k on it as of now. But 2 years ago I took it out and starting doing tune ups here and there. I did check the fluid ans there was barely any and also was dirty. I cleaned and put some fluid in it. And started to operate but not fully since I have to bleed it. Though my issue is i cannot find the bleeder on this car. Any clues to where I can find it? I checked everything you mentioned and everything is moving properly.

Gilga5

So I bleed the clutch, was functioning for a bit but then it locked up again. At this point maybe the transmission oil is need with the tranny considering hasnt been done and has been sitting for so long.

gvr4ever

You probably just want to flush the whole system with new fluid. Old fluid can compress.

Also, check for leaks. Slave is known for going with age and use.

Gilga5

I checked for leaks and nothing. This car was barely ever used. But yes I will get these fluids changed flushed and changed.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you check inside the car for leaks near the pedal area? If the rear seal leaks fluid, it can run inside the car and disappears behind the carpeting so it is not noticeable.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting gvr4ever:
Old fluid can compress.

This is not true. Dirty fluid will cause damage to seals and therefore leaking past them, but fluids do not compress. That is why they can be used for hydraulic systems.

gvr4ever

It was always my understanding that old hydrophilic fluid can absorb water, contaminants, etc. It's why it gets dirty and looks like crap. While they fluid itself might not compress, everything else in the fluid does.

I thought a full flush and replacement was just maintenance.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't disagree with both your statement on the contamination and the need for flush maintenance. Just pointing out that physically the fluid won't compress.

Actually had this recently on my daily driver. I was having shift engagement issues, and I realized the master cylinder was so gunked up it was not working right. I had to replace it unfortunately. I have had this car about two years, and I was remiss in not this changing this immediately when purchasing it. So certainly agree clutch system maintenance should include flush and fill.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts