The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch bleeding method

mikus

I'm wondering which clutch bleeding method people prefer. I've seen every one of these recommended for this system on different forums, each w/ pros and cons.

- gravity bleed
- push once, hold & bleed, repeat
- pump, hold & bleed, repeat
- fluid line running to bleeder and just pump away with bleeder open
- power bleeder or vacuum bleeder
- 1-man bleed by pressing slave rod in under car and holding, open & close bleeder

and various others.. who knew there were so many ways to get fluid outta there.

I like to run a hose from the slave that is long enough to run back up to the master. start by pumping it into a bottle till you get clean fluid then put the hose back into the master. this way you can recirculate the fluid while the air works it's way out.

mikus

^ and you just pedal away at it like that, until satisfied air is out? That's one of the better ideas I've heard yet for a one-man bleed.

yup, you can see any air bubles surfacing in the master. just use something to keep the hose in the master & dont hit the pedal too hard or the hose may kick off the slave.

464/2K

Quote:

- push once, hold & bleed, repeat

VR4coop

^^^ If it doesn't work that way, then you have other problems. Easiest way to do it. And replace every piece in your clutch system. slave, master, fork and pivot ball . It will be the best money you ever spent.

464/2K

i think this is why our cars and dsm's are known for tranny problems, people never replace this stuff.

Nijasan

I just use a speed bleeder. Crack it open, clear tube up to a bottle with the end of the tube submerged in clean brake fluid.

Pump pedal by hand 10 times, add fluid to master. Check bottle.

Repeat until bottle is full, dump out, replace with clean, keep going until the fluid coming is clean. Tighten bleeder, top off reservoir on top of master, cap on master and you're done.

I just rebuilt my master cyl yesterday fwiw.

when i did mine i had to bleed it a few time, so do and drive it and see how it is..mine drove fine then a little while later i decided to bleed it again as it was kinda skicky..

Lucky13

+1 for the speed bleeder. I tried all sorts of methods, but had the best luck with the bleeder. Bonus is that you can do it by yourself.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

What size speed bleeder are you guys using?

TWEAKD4

The speed bleeder is the same size as the brakes.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts