The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

click clack sound coming from left front of car at lower speed

atsiauto

Basically this car has been doing this since I bought it 10 yrs ago .

I replaced all of the following
has a baer 13 inch brake kit added
has new outer tie rod ends
new sway bar end links
new sway bar bracket bushings
evo 8 swapped suspension as per write up on this site ( used the evo strut mounts)

basically I have replaced anything I could along the way yet still have this click/pop at lower speeds that reminds me of crappy coilovers or something .

Its always concerned me to the point I went and got a lower control arm new and tried one last time to convince myself I am not insane and can fix it , still no change I almost feel it in the clutch pedal sometimes like the unibody in the floor is "taking it"

I have pried, beat on let the dealer look at this issue and got things like "probably end links" so 140.00 later new endlinks and same noise .

115k mile car here all parts i got new excluding the 27k mile struts from the evo.

I would gladly take any help I can get as the galant has always been my winter beater and I just want this sh*t to stop .

the noise is not prevalant at all at road speed just like under 15 mph when you hit any kind of dip speed bump or making a left or partial left turn seems to amplify it or make it more likley .

also put 2 new axles in it last year w the evo strut swap .

thanks for any help .,

dammitjim

If you're making a slow, tight turn does it make a rapid clicking sound that gets worse when you accelerate and get better/go away if you put the clutch in? That would be a front CV joint.

JCorbo25

Possible engine mount?

atsiauto

Quoting dammitjim:
If you're making a slow, tight turn does it make a rapid clicking sound that gets worse when you accelerate and get better/go away if you put the clutch in? That would be a front CV joint.

As said above I put 2 new axles in it last year no change its not a cv joint I could diagnose a cv joint 20 years ago.

atsiauto

Quoting JCorbo25:
Possible engine mount?

Put all new engine mounts on it last Year no change

gvr4ever

Double check to make sure the hood is tight on the hinges and check to make sure you don't have a gap at the rubber stops. Might also want to double check the torque on the axle nuts, but if you replaced everything that probably isn't it. Can the brake dust shields get loose?

dmj

Check front subframe mounts and bolts , intermediate shaft bearing and also wheel bearings.

grocery_getter

I assume you are not still running the old upper strut mount?

atsiauto

evo 8 swapped suspension as per write up on this site ( used the evo strut mounts)

MuffinMan7580

Has the transmission been out of the car since you've had it? Sounds like an axle is possibly not seated all the way, and when you turn left, you're trying to compress the CV joints. You say you put new axles in it when you did the suspension swap, but did you check to see if anything was up in the intermediate shaft keeping the axle from seating all the way in it?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned