The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

clearance for transaxle drop

paul j

How much room is needed below the bottom of the trans to get it out? I have about 13" now. Can two people, one at each end remove it? Will a big saddle floor jack work easier? It appears there are 6 bolts around the clutch housing holding it to block with 3 top bolt heads facing wheel and 3 bottom bolt heads facing block. Is this correct?
When the top mount bracket and the six bolts are removed how hard is it to pull off block and how far- before it drops down? Is it safe to let it hang with no bolts or top bracket for very long?

snailspool

Take off the North south bars, the trans mount, cables, and all electrical. Take off the bracket near the subframe shaped like the big island of hawaii, that is held in by 5 bolts. That shoud suffice. I usually lean over the fender, pull it out, and lower it to the ground to remove and use a jack to replace it, but i have very long arms, YMMV. No bolts on the clutch hold the trans to the block, the trans is held to the block by 4 bolts, two 14mm on top, one 14mm near the radiator down low, and one 12mm, just above the transfer case. You have to pull it about 6" away from the block, and no dont let it hang as that could damage the shaft.

This is actually a really good wright up. click

paul j

Got the transaxle out. Thanks for info and link. I originally had my stand pins at 2nd hole, about 20 3/4" high at front bumper edge, which was fine for reaching into engine bay. After looking things over and not wanting to remove by hand I raised stands another notch, about 22 3/4" high at bumper so I could use a jack. Since I am 71 and 132# a son helped me. We placed the jack so we could pull it away from engine then lower it. It still slipped off the saddle but we were able to get it out. Very tight, engine hits frame and then you lower it at angle. I think it is going to be a bitch to put back in by itself so I think it will be attached to the engine when it is installed. A transaxle jack would sure simplify things.

JCorbo25

I use the human tranny jack method: Lay under car, slide tranny away from engine, drop on chest, roll it to the side.

For install, human tranny jack also: Lay under car, slide tranny on top of your chest, bench press up and pull your knees under it, wiggle into position and slide on.

This last time I used my wife as a 'spotter' and worked pretty well. I think I only bruised two ribs on removal and cursed to high hell on install.

mitsuturbo

I just slide the damn thing up under the car, roll out the cherry picker, bolt a chain to it, and hoist it up. Couldn't be ANY easier.

I usually just use a floor jack to get it out. I've never had much difficulty this way.

mitsuturbo

Wait...

WHAT THE HELL?!

You're 71 years old?!

No offense intended, but not only do you know how to use a computer, you work on GVR4s?! I don't think most septuagenarians know how to (or care to) do much with a computer, much less log onto forums, create an account, and post questions about their automotive issues. I suppose either that or most simply have better things to do... like crochet a scarf.

Awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I hope when i'm 70ish i'm getting around well enough to be pulling transmissions out of cars and putting them back in. If i'm even still ALIVE by then.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif @ mitsuturbo.

I must say I too am impressed with the energy vs. age situation here.

JDM_DSM

Quoting JCorbo25:
I use the human tranny jack method: Lay under car, slide tranny away from engine, drop on chest, roll it to the side.

For install, human tranny jack also: Lay under car, slide tranny on top of your chest, bench press up and pull your knees under it, wiggle into position and slide on.

This last time I used my wife as a 'spotter' and worked pretty well. I think I only bruised two ribs on removal and cursed to high hell on install.

This is how I do it as well. I find putting a rubber floor mat between my chest and the tranny makes the process a lot more comfortable.

paul j

Are the 3 14mm bolts snailspool says hold the trans to the block the best ones to mount the block to an engine stand?

strokin4dr

Hear are a couple pics I grabbed with a quick search. This is the way I do it.

snailspool

Depends on the stand. I have to use different bolts, as the normal ones are too short on mine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts