The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Circle track galant help!

race_me89

Ok so a friend of mine has been using an 89 galant to race at our local track in the Stock 4 Cyl class.
He recently overheated during a race. the car has a 2.0 shoc I went to take a look and it surprised me when I saw that it had a distributor because I was expecting something pretty close to my 4g63. I'm not sure how the distributor is run maybe of a gear or the timing belt?

Well to make a long story short I am interested if I can give him one of my spare Dohc 4g63 heads and maybe he can make a little more power?

The only thing I can positively say is the head gasket does look to be identical

If anyone can help me, my buddy richie and I would greatly appreciate it.

Captn

Would that not be against the rules?

I know a friend that does similar racing and that would get him disqualified, not sure if they check everything like that though?

race_me89

Well the parts would be Mitsubishi, and they allow motor swaps if it stays true to manufacture

EHmotorsports

Crap do a turbo swap while your at it then!!!

race_me89

I actually did think of that, but he doesn't have the funds to do so.

tektic

Your racing this thing at Riverhead? Let me know when your going down again!

Your going to need to swap ecus and possibly some wiring to fire the coil pack. I've never done the conversion but I have most of the parts sitting around.

race_me89

ok that sparked something in my head lol

ok so swap ecus, use all 1G sensors so coils and injectors fire properly

what sensors would i need to "manipulate" because of the other bottom end
the cas means i dont need a crank signal
coolant temp isnt a big deal i would be forced to use a 1G intake so throttle body and tps are covered

am i missing anything

tektic

Your just emulating a stock nt dohc system. I'd assume fuel injectors are different sizes and the maf is different but I'm not sure. where ever you get the computer all the other parts and wiring have to mach that ecu. There's no way to hook up a factory distributor to the dohc 4g63 afaik. also there a stud on the side of the block that has to be changed to a bolt and all new timing and oiling components are necessary.

Honestly if there's no budget for a build your better off finding another running dohc engine and harness. they can be had cheaper that the sum of there parts.

race_me89

Ok update

I just purchased the car. The head is warped 17 degrees so even if I wanted the original motor I would need a new head (which I can not find anywhere locally)
So I was thinking of my options

1 would be possible or worth it to convert the car to a "gs-t"
2 look for a complete factory sohc for the automatic dud of a motor that's in it

I watched this car in the last race and they placed the 4 Cyl cars with the 6 Cyl and there were two cars killing everything a Taurus sho and a 300zx
The way I see it is a complete "factory" 4g63 build could compete with and even beat those cars

race_me89

It there anything crazy that I would need to do to convert a 90 galant to a fwd turbo 4g63

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts