The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Choosing The Right External Wastegate

raptorWagon

I'm in the market for a external wastegate, but what all do I need to take into account for choosing the right wastegate and what are the pros/cons over the different sizes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Asking the wise from my GVR4 family

Setup is a 2.3l stroker with a Hahn Super 16g with a T3 10cm hotside, boost range will be no more than 30psi.

jmorri15

the size of the wastegate you go with is determined by two things. how much air do you need to dump (in this case a 16g so not much) and what restrains do you have about physically fitting it in

Nate

Don't go too big. 40mm should be plenty. Too big of a valve and you'll have trouble keeping the valve closed. I tried using an HKS 50mm race gate and chased stiffer and stiffer springs until I got the stiffest spring they made just to hold 22psi.

raptorWagon

Quoting jmorri15:
the size of the wastegate you go with is determined by two things. how much air do you need to dump (in this case a 16g so not much) and what restrains do you have about physically fitting it in

Plenty of space with this being in a RWD setup, but I don't think that should be a determining factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

alansupra94

I will be running a 40mm Synapse Wastegate. I will post results when I get around to installing it.

Street Surgeon

Get a solid and reputable performer, for your needs an old tial 38mm would be plenty fine. Personally, I'd stay away from anything with a Synapse lable, but that's just me. Before anyone asks yes I have owned two synapse bov's (pricey mistake) and know others with problems as well. YMMV, good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

WesS

I second the synapse fail. I paid a shop to install a new synapse with a new weld in flange and still could not get it to seal. It works just fine but it is a constant boost and vacuum leak.

beaner

The first version of the Snaypse bov had many issues. The revision is the version you're after if you want to run it.

I picked up a revised version used and it came with what looks like a standard flange that can be welded directly to the IC pipe. The way it adapts to the bov, there's no way I see it sealing. I bought a Tial adapter and flange. That setup looks FAR better.

All said and done I decided to just mod the stock bov instead of try it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

EMX5636

Not really sure where we went from wastegates to BOV's, but I ran the Synapse wastegate for a few months, and didn't have any problems (never tried their BOV).

I highly recommend the TurboSmart Ultra40mm. I did a side/side comparo of that vs. the MVS TiAL and liked the Ultra40mm better. I've run a lot of wastegates, my priority now is small size, but most of the brand name stuff won't let you down!

Street Surgeon

Quoting beaner:
The first version of the Snaypse bov had many issues. The revision is the version you're after if you want to run it.

I picked up a revised version used and it came with what looks like a standard flange that can be welded directly to the IC pipe. The way it adapts to the bov, there's no way I see it sealing. I bought a Tial adapter and flange. That setup looks FAR better.

All said and done I decided to just mod the stock bov instead of try it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Many versions of the synapse bov's have problems regardless of flange type etc. Personally mine used a tial flange, as did my friends which both leaked quite a bit from the flange. The tial BOV's however seal up fine, so either they didn't machine their adapter flange correctly, or their oring was crap. I bought another new o-ring from them to test it out and the bov still won't seal up.

I know this is a wastegate question, but the reason I bring up their BOV's is because the company uses US the consumers to "test" it's product, that and I've had less than stellar support from them. Go with a tial or turbosmart!

mitsuturbo

Synapse gates seem to be pretty large, from what i've seen. Space up there is at a premium under our hoods. Unless i've not become aware of something with a smaller footprint, i'd stay away from synapse as well.

DEFINITELY stay far, far away from anything labeled Turbonetics. Their wastegates are absolute sh*t. You'd be better off with some chinabay hunk of sh*t than a turbonetics. That's a fact.

Tial seems to be pretty much the standard of the industry. The new MV-S and MV-R are compact and seem to work well. I haven't run my MV-R yet, but i'm certain it will be every bit as good as the old Tial 35/38 i had before. Replacement parts are readily available for them as well.

Turbosmart seems to make good products. I wouldn't shy away from them. That would be my 2nd choice, after the Tial.

EMX5636

4thStroke- (and anyone else interested) go to www.photobucket.com for a bunch of comparison photos. I was getting some creep up top with the MVS because of it's small body. I replaced it with the turbosmart equivalent, and it went away. The valve is about the same size, but if you look at the volume of the body, there is much more area for the exhaust pressure/gases to go after the valve. I have used TiAL in the past, and would probably run the MVR, but I think they worked too hard on getting the MVS really really small, and lost some flow off a regular 35/38mm gate.

I also know a few people who run the Precision gates with good luck, just I haven't personally.

mitsuturbo

First time i've seen a comparison between turbosmart and tial. That TS gate looks like a damn nice little unit. If it's cheaper than the MV-R, it would definitely be a good way to go. My FP turbine housing was already set up for a 44mm gate, so i went with the obvious choice.

beaner

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Many versions of the synapse bov's have problems regardless of flange type etc. Personally mine used a tial flange, as did my friends which both leaked quite a bit from the flange. The tial BOV's however seal up fine, so either they didn't machine their adapter flange correctly, or their oring was crap. I bought another new o-ring from them to test it out and the bov still won't seal up.

The two little bolts holding the flange in the bov happened to thread right where the o ring was on my included adapter. I noticed the tial adapter was machined slightly different where the oring was, but I still think those bolts touched the oring screwing it all up. The whole part of that design really had me scratching my head. I ultimately sold it and dodge garage'd two stock bovs.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Tial seems to be pretty much the standard of the industry.

Agreed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned