The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chip features

Maybe you should set up a "menu" for people's chips. It will explain all that the chip does differently, and what parameters they are allowed to choose. Lay it out, and they will come...
wink.gif

Hmm, could the LED's be used to show inj. duty cycle? Maybe have it start at 50%, so it's not flashing or on all the time? The ecu knows both rpm and pulse width; would something external be required to calculate duty cycle, and give it to the ecu, or could it handle this on it's own?

Sure, thats actually an easy one that TMO has already done. I guess I shouldn't say "easy", because there is more code involved in it than any other gauge, since it has to work with injector pulsewidth and rpm both:
http://www.tmo.com/prod/eprom/gauge.shtml
Thats a nice idea, to have it only do 50-100%. TMO's does the whole scale, 0-100% I think, with 1/2 scale being 50% duty, so you would get better resolution on the high end where it matters. I could make it where LED#1=50%, LED#2=60%, etc, until LED#6 would be 100%.
Jeff O.
#1886/2000
By the way guys, I'm going to be away for a while on business, so don't get too excited if I don't answer your questions right away.

quote:Originally posted by chadhayashi:
How much for this mod? Where have you been? My chips are FREE (to GVR-4 owners).
smile.gif

Just to add some testimony to Jeff, I just got my ecu back. 1 week after I sent it and I am completely satisifed. The stutter box will get you 0-60 faster then a new M3. If anyone is contemplating sending Jeff their ecu, I would highly advise it.
Thanks again Jeff, everything works great
Marcus

quote:Originally posted by Marcus:
Just to add some testimony to Jeff, I just got my ecu back. 1 week after I sent it and I am completely satisifed. The stutter box will get you 0-60 faster then a new M3. If anyone is contemplating sending Jeff their ecu, I would highly advise it.
Thanks again Jeff, everything works great
Marcus
I love driving my car. its so fun not having to brake during turns and gasing it through. Thats the only thing stopping me from sending it to jeff.
grin.gif

I came in on this thread real late. Keydiver, send me your address and I'll have my ecu in the mail in a few days. The Galant is down right now so I don't need it back real quick, car should be up in about two weeks. Anything you wanna test, I'm game. Love the stutterbox, ac cutout, and knock setup. Now here;s my question, when I have to BUY one of these for my GSX, how much, and how will the knock sensorwork on the dsm gauge? ANyway, mnessage me, I'll be a test bunny!

Sorry guys, I've been out of town for a few days, and got a root canal and tooth extraction this morning. I won't be able to take on much work anytime soon, as I have to fly out of town again next Friday, and won't be back until after the 20th. Anyone who hasn't received a reply from me, please try again.
I have one interesting thing to note about my chips: I sent one to Ash in Australia, and he in turn emailed me the Oz GVR-4 chip. Guess what? There IDENTICAL. Not one byte of code different. I just thought it was interesting they used the same code in other countries, with different emission standards probably too. It looks like I have a new market for my chips! The only thing strange is that Ash's clutch switch works backwards from ours, but that was easily remedied in the code.
Thanks for the good feedback. I told you you'd like the stutterbox
wink.gif

Jeff O.

quote:Originally posted by keydiver:
Unfortunately, I'm not a 68HC11 programmer. All I have is a list of opcodes from the Motorola site, and a partial disassembly of a stock chip. That, alot of help from a couple guys on the DSM-ECU site, and my gut instincts have gotten me this far. Any of you guys real proficient in HC11 machine code? [/QB]The HC11 code isn't the problem, you can get good at it with practice and an HC11 data book. The problem is that the processor isn't simply an HC11, they put some extra proprietary codes into the processor just for Mitsubishi. Todd's changes are pretty easy to figure out because he just uses the simple HC11 opcodes, but when you try to decode the entire image without knowing the extra ones it gets kinda ugly.

Unfortunately, I don't know the address of the boost control solenoid either. If I did, I'd probably make a boost controller based on injector pulsewidth instead of manifold pressure. It should work well, and you could always pull boost if you saw >XX knock. There's a ton of stuff that could be done with the stock ECU if all the elements were in place...

quote:Originally posted by keydiver:
quote:Originally posted by chadhayashi:
How much for this mod? Where have you been? My chips are FREE (to GVR-4 owners).
smile.gif
I guess I missed something. Do I have to send you the ECU or can you just send out a chip for me to have installed here? I can't afford another week or more of downtime.

If you can get the ECU socketed yourself, I can just send you an EPROM with the options you want. I'll even send you a socket at no charge. TMO has instructions on how to socket the EPROM.

Just thought I'd post another thanks to Jeff for that chip, the stutterbox works sweet with my backwards clutch switch now. 10psi!!!
cool.gif

I love the knock feature too, I've started re-tuning the car since having it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned