The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chewed up BS delete bearing and oil starvation.

matt92vr4

Hi everyone, I tore down my engine this weekend and found a spun rod bearing. I also noted damage to the front BS delete bearing. Has anyone seen these get damaged before? It does not have a BS in it and it was new when installed. The engine was running when I pulled it. It wasn't in good shape, but I've pulled many more that sounded a lot worse that didn't have this much carnage inside. What is the main cause from oil starvation? I had a new pump. Everything was new. Hate to put all new stuff back in and have the same problem. Do you think I should replace the entire front case? This one only has 3000 miles on it. Thanks, Matt

ktmrider

What kind/brand of BS delete did you do? Lots of threads around showing the "sketch" ones, ie no groove in the stub.

Also what kind of front case/oil pump did you buy? ANYTHING other than OEM is asking for trouble, especially the TopLine unit. Again numerous threads on this.

One way or another replace the front case with you guessed it OEM. Sorry for your issues, hopefully you get everything back up and running soon.

matt92vr4

Thanks for the info, everything was OEM Mitsu parts from JNZ Tuning.

Initially I suspected that the spun rod bearing was a result of the shady DSM Graveyard 2g piston 1g rod combo that wasn't machined properly. Now I'm not sure if that was the problem or just a symptom.

matt92vr4

I just found it odd that there was any markings on the BS bearing. Nothing touches that? What could have caused those marks?

BluFalcon

Stupid question, but the BS bearings were removed and reinstalled to block off the oil feed holes in the block, correct?

I only ask because in one of the pics, it looks like the bearing feed hole is aligned with the feed hole in the block.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Yes they were but it does in fact look like it's lined up now. That's weird. That would have caused oil starvation. Those bearings can't possibly rotate once they are installed can they?

AnotherNewb

Isn't that hole for sliding a screw driver or something into to align the balance shaft?

Edit: never mind, I'm thinking of the rear BS

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

It's ok to have it lined up with the outside hole. The other side is plugged. The outside plug/hole is for when they drilled the oil passages at the factory.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Thanks for the info. I double checked and it is lined up with the outside hole.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned