The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Check your shift linkage

mk2davis

After 235k miles, I've decided to rebuild my shift linkage. Turns out, 2 sets of bushings have been missing from the shift linkage. Funny thing is, this car has been in the family since new. The car was bought as the demo for the dealership. Unfortunately, my father who bought the car, has passed. So I don't know if there was shotty work done in the past, or if the pieces have been missing from the factory.

I was able to do the work without pulling the center console. I have smaller sized hands, and working in the hole wasn't too difficult for me, but I could see it being difficult for those with large hands.

The improved shifting feel now highlights how blown my scynros are; but it is nice feeling the shift gates instead of just vaguely finding a gear "over there somewhere".

miller

The plastic bushings simply wear out and disintegrate over time, hence why you cant see them. Here is mine from 160k kilometres, 100k miles. Nothing left whatseover of them. Very simple job to do and makes the box feel minty fresh.

BbKFo0b.jpg

Rein3003

where do you guys get the replacement bushings? And is there maybe an improved bushing over oem?

mk2davis

And it's' relatively cheap and easy. It's hard to beat cheap, easy, and makes a noticeable improvement.

slugsgomoo

New OEM bushings make a big deal, but a few folks online sell kits to replace every bushing- for the base, the shifter, the cable ends, the transmission bracket mount, etc., out of brass. While it can add some vibration and noise, it also makes the shifter feel tight and solid, with no slop. Unless you're trying to stay all-stock/OEM, I think it's a fantastic mod and fairly cheap and easy to install.

turbofonz

I have a set of brass ones from overseas in my 1g from dsmtuners, and a set of 3d printed from DSM3dcreations.com - much cheaper then the brass and work just as good IMO. And if you get the printed shifter stopper, it makes for a very clunky shift into gear. I likey.

JNR

Was it this platform or a different one that I'm thinking of that they used to sell Delrin bushings (kit or maybe standalone sourced)?

turbomister2

I just ordered a complete set of bushings from them for my car

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings