The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ceramic Coating an Intake Manifold?

cheekychimp

Is this counter productive?

It goes without saying that ceramic coating the exhaust side of things is full of win, but is there anything to be gained on the intake side?

Discuss!

beaner

You could coat the manifold with anything you want and I bet you'd never notice a difference. You would be more interested in a phenolic spacer though. It keeps the manifold cool to touch after driving around. I have one I plan to install soon only in the interest of getting an extra inch in length for the runners. The gains from the cooler manifold are about zero according to my searching around on Google.

Barnes

Unless you intake charge is incredibly cold, or your engine bay incredibly hot, I doubt there is any point.

onesickcrx

The heat barrier or shields work really well for keep heat off of it but thats assuming your already keeping it cool. I used the nylon / plastic gasket made big difference also no coolant lines to throttle body will help a lot too

Launch

Those white plastic 'Spacers people are using are prone to blow/melt out, and take a cyl with it

cheekychimp

Sort of what I figured. It also seems that if you are using injection, the difference in intake temps pre-injection becomes almost negligible.

Quoting Beaner:
You could coat the manifold with anything you want and I bet you'd never notice a difference. You would be more interested in a phenolic spacer though. It keeps the manifold cool to touch after driving around. I have one I plan to install soon only in the interest of getting an extra inch in length for the runners. The gains from the cooler manifold are about zero according to my searching around on Google.

cooler manifold at first.

I had a Phenolic Spacer on my stealth, with an infrared Thermometer it read 45* cooler when at idle vs with out.after 10 minutes, hood closed.

but after driving, the manifold temps were exactly the same +-5degrees.

Spacers work well on NA engines, but youre forcing hot air in there, so the temp is going to come up regardless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned