The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

catalytic converter process

InitialdVR4

As of right now i have to pass emissions to register 890.
When i bought 890 it was running with just a test pipe and no catalytic converter.
My Question is, is putting one on as simple as just welding one in place?

transparentdsm

yes. just make sure you mock it with the exhaust hanging in place so you have the cat angled properly so it doesnt hit the driveshaft or the undercarriage.

Number996

Is your test pipe welded into place?

When i deleted my cat i had my guy weld a couple flanges on the testpipe so it was removable. If your flanges are still there you should be able to bolt a cat in no problem (thats assuming the flamges are still in stock position, if not there will be some retrofitting)

Have you researched your states historical and antique automotive laws/requirements? For example I live in MD and have historical tags because the vr4 is more than 20 years old and this exempts me from safety/emissions inspections. Thus, no cat baby! Your state may have similar laws

InitialdVR4

Quoting transparentdsm:
yes. just make sure you mock it with the exhaust hanging in place so you have the cat angled properly so it doesnt hit the driveshaft or the undercarriage.

where would you consider the best placement for the cat?

mitsuturbo

Quoting InitialdVR4:
I live in arizona so how would i go about finding if
my car would be counted as exempt from emissions?

Look up the laws and regulations, dingus. Start with the dept. of licensing or motor vehicles website, and if you don't find answers there, try ecology, air quality, or finally the state legislation.

What are you? New to the internet?

InitialdVR4

I looked it up last night, dingle berry. No, no sir im not new to the internet,
i just thought someone else already had this information.
and what are you? a Dick?

prove_it

Don't buy a generic cheapo convertor. Sometimes they won't clean up the exhaust enough. Pick up a decent brand name one.

God, I love living in a farming state. No emissions. ever.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts