The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cassette player help.

Jim550Jc

So my cassette player won't work and just displays these squares can anyone tell me what this means? Yes I could just go buy a new deck or ignore it but I like the stock look and who knows it might be an easy fix so any help would be awesome.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That is the normal graphic portrayed as the unit rolls the tape. Do you know if the tape is moving, but you have no sound?

If it were mine- I would try a head cleaner first (if the mechanism moves). Otherwise, you can usually take the top panel off these radio units (leaving it plugged in but pulled out of the console) and watch for function. It may just be stuck or gummy from age. Otherwise, a motor may possibly have failed. Possibly could be repaired but you would have to gauge the value to you.

Jim550Jc

Yeah that sounds about right because all I hear is white noise through the speakers and no movement from the player guess I'll clean it out and see if it works. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

Rubbing alcohol with a q-tip (good kind that doesn't shed) and wiping the gunk off the heads will work...they do make tape cleaners but if it's bad enough, may need to start doing it manually. Don't get overzealous with the isopropyl as a little goes a long wy. Usually, you can get access to them by propping open the tape door although may need a flashlight to clean...the head is the silver looking thing that 'reads; the tape, btw and should be easy to spot.

DSMGVR4

Also, make sure you are not using a blank tape...or listening to dead space on a tape. Everything could be working fine. In the world of iPads, pods, CDs, etc....tape player could be mint, user might not be privy. ;-)

Jim550Jc

Yeah I used a good tape tested it on a working cassette player and it worked on there but not in the car, may take me a little while to get around to cleaning it though not too high on my priority list.

misterfixit

Might be a drive belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Old tape players are a dod for it, Did it fail outright or did the tapes slow down a bit first? If it's running the motor no load it might burn it out. Tape motors are a pain as they have a governor to run at a set speed.

I had all this fun to go through trying to get my old Akai Boombox running again.

Rich

prove_it

and someone is looking for cassette player help. I don't think I've even seen a cassette tape for years now. lol

Do you still have all other functions on the unit? Mine stocker had an amp issue that caused speakers to fail at times.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned