The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carrier bearings - are they borkd? plus pic request

Whoodoo

While I was under my car yesterday, I noticed my driveshaft was drooping in the carrier bearings. I have always had a wub wub and got some washers to shim the shafts, but never got around to it last december. I noticed yesterday, though, that perhaps I just have worn carrier bearings. The driveshaft looked like it was sagging. I could move the driveshaft up and down about a half inch with little effort. The bearings didn't even hold the shaft tight because about half of that play was unhindered by the rubber. Is this normal?

Looking through the vfaq pictures wasn't very helpful. I might just be paranoid about my car, but it looks like my shaft is drooping. If anyone can lend some knowledge about proper amounts of play in the carrier bearings, and/or pics of how they sit I would much appreciate it.

speedyvr4

mine have been like that for about 3 years since I bought the car now. I never get around to doing them and other issues start to plauge me before I can actually save money to buy the u joints. might as well change em if you have to take out the carrier bearings you now? piece of advice though. It's cheaper to buy 3 transfer case recall kits wich each kit will include a set of u jouints, then it is to buy the u joints seperatly.but yeah, if they droop alot and you hear the ocasional thump especially when raining, their bad.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

That's what I feared. I've got much more pressing issues at the moment though. It's not a critical part so I may have to put them off for a while.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts