The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon fiber/fiberglass hood

strokin4dr

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

vr4hotness

He just email me this
Hi,

Yes we can make it if you able to gather between 40-50 people in a group buy as the more quantity would be more affordable. Price should be around $450-$650 if you able to give us good factory sample or more if we need to make it. Please let me know if you have any further questions, thank you.

Regards,

Donny Kie
AdvanCarbon.com

JNR

I'll probably get one down the road, but it'll just be the flat version.

Group buys of carbon fiber here is the kiss of death, so not going to bother with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I contacted them to inquire about getting a new hood made for something they didn't offer (in this case my Xterra) and was told the same thing, 40-50 people. I thought it would be cool to have custom fenders made, but not sure how they would hold up off-road. Probably fine, but don't think enough people are willing to put that kind of $$$ into them...especially considering how light fenders are to begin with. Least the hood on that isn't nearly as heavy as the Galant. That is the only reason I'd do it on the Galant is for the weight savings, as I would have it painted anyhow (don't like carbon fiber on white; too ricer-ish IMO...On a dark gray or black though, it looks good.

BTW - sounded like they are up for doing custom scoops, etc. for extra $, fwiw. Would need to contact them with details for a quote though. Personally, I would like some kind of louvered vents, placed on the side/rear portion of hood, for the heat extraction part. The oem vents on ,y 5.9 ZJ were actually pretty functional, but didn't allow water to get in.

eviLntt

Quoting JNR:
Wow, it's nice to see a good carbon fiber hood on the market...and local, as well. Will need to check them out!

Don't like raw carbon fiber look on white, so I'd paint mine...[EDIT - it appears they have different color schemes available, but nothing for white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ] does it look relatively flat overall? Don't want to have to put a lot of bodywork into it, if at all possible. This, along with some new hinges and hood struts would be awesome...

I had a similar thing happen to me on my Chevelle many years ago...somebody thought it would be funny to steal my hood pins and I didn't think to notice them gone. So, boom, ruined hood and almost hit a bicyclist. Two lessons that day: Always carry duct tape (ironic part is I was telling this to my passenger friend) and always check your pins. More importantly, have a backup and don't rely solely on the pins to hold it down. I was quite young then and long before the internet, but will always remember that!

I usually do check the hood pins, especially when someone else has been under the hood, but then forgot as I came out of the office. I almost got on the freeway before the hood came up on me, I felt it was not a good idea and 500 feet down the road it came loose.

mitsuturbo

Quoting galant0933:
I'd be up for one. Maybe if enough of us want one they'll give us a discount.

LOL.

Newbies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned