The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car will only run for 4 seconds and caps are good

Breakerrr

No offense, but you're all over the place. For instance you said you think the o2 sensor is bad because it is resting at .06 volts. That's normal while in open-loop operation. If you're not sure what open loop operation is? Continue reading... what you need to do now is stop. First download a copy of the Mitsubishi service manual and read the section marked fuel. Familiarize yourself with how the ECU is working. Second check for Boost leaks (a common symptom of boost leak is an initial start and immediately cutting off). Third follow the diagnostic steps set forth in the manual 2 eliminate common problems.

Also: you can check/ turn on your fuel pump with link. You can also check your base timing by grounding out the timing pin using link.

The biggest thing is follow the service manual you'll save yourself a TON of time effort and money

tacolibre

thanks for the info breakerrr. I will stop/start there. I have learned more since the O2 sensor post but not enough to completely solve the problem.

tacolibre

made some progress, made a boost leak tester, did a boost/air leak test from the intake elbow back for starters found many leaks more coming soon after the FSM is read

Breakerrr

Good work on finding/fixing boost leaks, and reading the FSM. I still catch myself trying to skirt putting in the effort to hunt down hard to find leaks, like I've been cured of them or something. We invest so much time, effort, and money into our cars, leaking HP just isn't acceptable. When you work through the fuel system "service adjustment procedures" you will most likely tidy up several issues that may be small by themselves but add up to equal one big problem or set of problems. Even if everything is found to be good then its one giant check mark you can put next to a list of variables that could be the causing the problem. Sometimes it looks like a huge task but working through the procedures earns peace of mind and reliability not to mention the experience of really learning what the path from air filter to muffler looks like. Once you learn that... setting up your fuel trims with ECMLINK will make more sense to you, but that's a separate topic.

tacolibre

the car does idle now! Thanks for all the help and tips. despite the ISC testing good from a resistance stand point I decided to remove it power cycle it to see how the plunger behavior was. This showed me a plunger that was not smooth so I decided to replace it with an Oreilly's unit. I have new questions to be asked on New threads now, Thanks again!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned